1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spark Length

1. Oct 14, 2003 #1
    Is there a general rule of thumb for ac spark length?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you asking something like "what's the breakdown voltage of a given space in air?"

- Warren

4. Oct 14, 2003 #3
    There is a relationship between the voltage and the length of the spark, it is also effected by the surrounding gas (air) pressure.

Here is a site that gives some mathematical equations, statistics and graphs showing the relationships.

http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv/hv/msr/spk/

5. Oct 14, 2003 #4
    I build a small tesla coil that produces about 12" sparks. I dont have a way to measure the voltage so I am looking for an approximate spark length to voltage conversion.

6. Oct 16, 2003 #5
    I think the rule of thumb varies with several factors: the number of windings in your coils, the transformer, wire thickness, primary spark gap settings, etc. But I read somewhere that for a medium sized unit the rule of thumb is something like 8.5 Kv per inch, this sounds possible for yours, 8.5 x 12 would put you at about 102,000 volts, a little low for a tesla coil, but possible I think.

There are several internet sites that deal with calculating this voltage based on the various factors directly associated with your Tesla Coil.

Here is one:

http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page5.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook