1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spark Plug Ignition Circuit

1. Jul 19, 2008 #1
    My friend and I are trying to build a very basic to get a spark plug to fire. Right now we have a plug, and Ignition coil that outputs 20 kV. The Ignition coil says on it 12 V and was bought at an auto parts store so im assuming its an ignition coil for a car. What kind of battery should we test it with? Do we need as much power as a car battery or can we live with a much smaller size? Also i heard about using a capacitor to absorb the back emf in the primary coil that will run across the switch normally. i was thinking maybe a high voltage capacitor of like 10-100 microfarads?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2008 #2
    I've done this circuit a couple of times. The first time I did it I tried to theoretically calculate the value of the capacitor. It was a pretty interesting problem in a lot of ways. I can tell you my calculated answer was around 0.010 microfarads, but I won't bore you with the details. The voltage won't be more than about 400V because the ignition coil has a turns ration of around 100:1.

There's a lot of physics in the circuit, but the most fun is making sparks. I got the best fireworks by dragging a screwdriver across a long piece of threaded rod.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?