1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spark tape?

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    Well I used a spark timer and got a spark tape, but forgot how to use the spark tape to calculate time and velocity.
    I think its something like the number of dots/60 to get time and v=d/t to get velocity
    Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's a spark tape?

Sounds like you have the right idea, though.

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Spark Tape is the tape u insert into the spark timer

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm guessing it's like the ticker tape counters in school dynamics experiments.

You have a length of lightweight paper tape which attaches to the moving object and goes through a mains fed coil which taps a bit of carbon on the paper every 1/50 or 1/60 second to give a time-displacement relation. I suppose you could use a mains spark to burn marks on the paper rather than draw them.

Nick - The marks will be either 1/60s apart in USA/Canada or 1/50s in Europe.

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    yea that was what we did, thx!

7. Sep 26, 2007 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thanks mgb_phys, I'd never heard of that before.

8. Sep 27, 2007 #7
    So, measure the distance between each spot. Make a chart. What does this represent?
    What is the time between each spot? What made them? How are they related to the frequency of the power mains?
    How can you manipulate (add, subtract, multiply, or divide?) those quantities to get velocity? What kind of velocity (average or instantaneous) do you think you have?
    What else could you do with the velocities?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?