Calculating Acceleration with Spark Timers for Dynamics Cart Experiment

• Thread starter captain_planet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spark
In summary, the conversation is about calculating acceleration using spark timers and ticker tape. The formula for acceleration is velocity over time, and for instantaneous acceleration, the formula is dv/dt or dr/dt. However, since there are only discrete values for the marks, the average speed between each pair of marks should be used to find the acceleration. This gives an acceleration function between intervals. Another way to find acceleration is by graphing instantaneous velocity vs time and finding the slope, which represents the acceleration.
captain_planet
just a quick question on spark timers, mostly on ticker tape. I need a reminder on how to calculate the acceleration on the tape. i know i need to take a time measurement and the distance between the dots on the tape but from there do i need to calculate intervals or what? I'm using the acceleration to help find the coefficient of friction of a dynamics cart and brass mass on an inclined plane. thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For acceleration it's velocity over time. So you need to find the velocity (distance over time).
For example if I move 5 meters in 5 seconds my velocity is 1m/s, then for acceleration I put 1m/s over 5s, then my acceleration is 0.2m/s.

i understand that, but acceleration is not constant and the v = d/t formula is for constant velocity...

It is average acceleration sorry, for instantaneous acceleration use dv/dt and velocity use dr/dt.

Of course, since you only have discrete values for the marks (not a continuous function), you can't really use "dv/dt".

What you need to do is find the average speed between each pair of marks: distance measured on the tape divided by the time interval.

Now do the same for each pair of average speed values: subtract the two speeds and divide by the time interval.

That gives the average acceleration over each interval and gives you an acceleration function between intervals.

thanks for the help
i figured out that the graph of the instananeous velocity of vs teh time at that speed will give me the slope equal to the acceleration. if i still sound confused please help but thanks for your replies!

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object is speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What is a spark timer and how does it work?

A spark timer is a device used to measure the motion of an object by creating a series of dots on a strip of paper through which the object passes. The dots are created by an electrical spark that is triggered at regular intervals by a timer. By measuring the distance between the dots, the motion of the object can be analyzed.

How is a spark timer used to calculate acceleration in the dynamics cart experiment?

In the dynamics cart experiment, a spark timer is used to create dots on a strip of paper as a cart moves along a track. By measuring the distance between the dots and the time interval between them, the acceleration of the cart can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t.

What factors can affect the accuracy of acceleration calculations using a spark timer?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of acceleration calculations using a spark timer. These include the precision of the timer and the ruler used to measure the distance between dots, the smoothness of the track, and external factors such as air resistance and friction. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain accurate results.