Spatial Fourier Transform: Bessel x Sinusoidal

In summary, Jason was trying to find a way to do the integral of the product of two Bessel functions, but ran into problems. He will try to find an expression for the integral using Lommel's integral.
tworitdash
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to formulate an analytical expression for the spectrum of the electric fields on a circular aperture (cylindrical waveguide). The field expressions are a multiplication of Bessel function and sinusoidal function. I am attaching only one kind of integration that I have.
[tex] I(k_x, k_y) = \int_{0}^{R} \int_{0}^{2\pi} J_{m-1}(\alpha \rho) \sin((m + 1) \phi) e^{j\rho(k_x \cos\phi + k_y \sin\phi)} \rho d\rho d\phi [/tex]Is there any way to do it? J is the Bessel function of the first kind. I thought of partially doing only the phi integral as [itex] \int_{0}^{2\pi} \sin((m + 1) \phi) e^{j\rho(k_x \cos\phi + k_y \sin\phi)} d\phi [/itex] but then again I am not able to find any solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can definitely do the ##\phi## integral - I have been doing a lot of similar integrals recently. What you want to do is define ##k_x = k \cos\psi## and ##k_y = k \sin\psi##, and split up the ##\sin ## into complex exponentials. Then you get integrals of the form,
$$ \begin{eqnarray*}
\mathcal{I}^{\pm} & = & \int_0^{2\pi} \, e^{\pm j (m+1) \phi} \, e^{j k \cos(\phi-\psi)} \, d\phi \\
& = & e^{\pm j (m+1) \psi} \int_0^{2\pi} \, e^{\pm j (m+1) (\phi-\psi)} \, e^{j k \cos(\phi-\psi)} \, d\phi \\
& = & e^{\pm j (m+1) \psi} \int_{-\psi}^{2\pi-\psi} \, e^{\pm j (m+1) \xi} \, e^{j k \cos\xi} \, d\xi
\end{eqnarray*}
$$

To proceed you need the integral,
$$ J_\ell(\beta) = \frac{1}{2\pi j^\ell} \int_0^{2\pi} \, e^{j \ell \phi} \, e^{j \beta \cos\phi} \, d\phi
$$
which commonly occurs in these kinds of problems. Note that this is the integral of a periodic function over one period, so the result does not depend on which period you integrate over.

The integral over ##\rho## is harder, because you have an integrand that is basically ##\rho \, J_{m-1}(a\rho) \, J_{\pm(m+1)}(b\rho)##. Similar integrals can be found at DLMF (https://dlmf.nist.gov/10.22), but the exact integral is not there. Perhaps you can use recurrence relations for the ##J_n## to get this into a form where you can do this closed-form? If not, then you may be stuck doing numerical integration, which should be pretty easy as the integrand is well behaved.

Jason

Last edited:
Likes tworitdash
By the way, the integral representation of the Bessel function above follows from the expression
$$
e^{- j z \cos\phi} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty j^{-n} e^{j n \phi}\, J_n(z).
$$
You could have also just used this expansion in your original integral and of course ended up with the same result.

Last edited:
Likes tworitdash
Thank you so much for the inputs @jasonRF . I will try. Previously I was successful with the integration of the product of Bessel functions. So, probably for the [itex] \rho [/itex] variations, I can formulate something with Lommel's integral. I hope I can see some light at the end! :)

1. What is a Spatial Fourier Transform?

A Spatial Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or signal in the spatial domain into its frequency components in the spatial frequency domain. It is used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and physics to analyze and manipulate signals or functions in the spatial domain.

2. What is the Bessel function in the context of a Spatial Fourier Transform?

The Bessel function is a special mathematical function that appears in the solution of many problems in physics and engineering, including the Spatial Fourier Transform. It is used to describe the amplitude of the spatial frequency components in the frequency domain.

3. What is the significance of the Sinusoidal function in the Spatial Fourier Transform?

The Sinusoidal function is a fundamental trigonometric function that is used to represent periodic signals in the spatial domain. In the context of the Spatial Fourier Transform, it represents the phase of the spatial frequency components in the frequency domain.

4. How is the Spatial Fourier Transform calculated using Bessel and Sinusoidal functions?

The Spatial Fourier Transform is calculated by integrating the product of the function or signal in the spatial domain and the complex exponential function, which is a combination of the Bessel and Sinusoidal functions. This integration is performed over the entire spatial domain.

5. What are the applications of the Spatial Fourier Transform using Bessel and Sinusoidal functions?

The Spatial Fourier Transform has numerous applications, including image processing, signal filtering, and pattern recognition. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering to analyze and manipulate signals or functions in the spatial domain.