Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spatial Separation

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two events occur at the same place in a certain inertial frame and are separated by a time interval of 4 seconds. What is the spatial separation between these two events in an inertial frame in which the events are separated by a time interval of 6 seconds?

2. Relevant equations

Lorentz Transforms

3. The attempt at a solution

I really have no idea where to start. I know its not that hard I am just drawing a blank

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: What quantity involving both time and position is invariant under Lorentz transforms?

4. Sep 16, 2010 #3
    I know the speed of light is invariant. The way I worked it was putting it through the Lorentz time transform solving for v. then put that v in the x Lorentz transform

5. Sep 16, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure, [itex]c[/itex] is Lorentz invariant, but it doesn't invole time or position, so that doesn't help. What about the spacetime interval [itex]\delta s^2[/itex]?

6. Sep 16, 2010 #5
    Could you give me maybe a walk through on how to find that or even the problem. I am really at a loss, I missed a week of classes because i was sick.

7. Sep 16, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not here to teach a week of coursework. Read the section in your text that talks about spacetime intervals and then try the problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook