1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spatial Separation

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two events occur at the same place in a certain inertial frame and are separated by a time interval of 4 seconds. What is the spatial separation between these two events in an inertial frame in which the events are separated by a time interval of 6 seconds?

2. Relevant equations

Lorentz Transforms

3. The attempt at a solution

I really have no idea where to start. I know its not that hard I am just drawing a blank

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: What quantity involving both time and position is invariant under Lorentz transforms?

4. Sep 16, 2010 #3
    I know the speed of light is invariant. The way I worked it was putting it through the Lorentz time transform solving for v. then put that v in the x Lorentz transform

5. Sep 16, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure, [itex]c[/itex] is Lorentz invariant, but it doesn't invole time or position, so that doesn't help. What about the spacetime interval [itex]\delta s^2[/itex]?

6. Sep 16, 2010 #5
    Could you give me maybe a walk through on how to find that or even the problem. I am really at a loss, I missed a week of classes because i was sick.

7. Sep 16, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not here to teach a week of coursework. Read the section in your text that talks about spacetime intervals and then try the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook