1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SPDT Solid-state Relay

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    Hello All,

I have been trying to think of a way to make a Single-pole double-throw solid-state relay circuit out of some MOSFETs that I have laying around. I determied that I wanted to this SSR to be bidirectional so that it will behave as much like a mechanical relay as possible. I first started with a SPST version using two Mosfets with their source pins tied together and used as a ground reference for the driver IC, which has it's own floating power supply (battery) referenced to the same point independent of the load circuit. I then took it a step further and added another pair of MOSFETs and a driver so that the setup could be driven as the compliment of the first pair. I drew a circuit diagram showing my idea but I'm wondering if it is ok that both drivers are referenced to the same floating ground. Could someone take a look and let me know if this is a good way to do this?

Thanks,
    Jason O

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From what I can see the two MOSFETs connected to B are shorted out of the circuit by the common ground.

Just a guess, but you may want to look into H-Bridge circuits.

IIRC they do make a variant of a triac that can be turned off by control signal.

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    Yeah I thought there was something funny there. Good catch. The triac idea sounds interesting but i really want to stick with the use of Fets because of the fast switching times. As for the H-Bridge design, thats an interesting approach as well but then I'm not sure how to make it bidirectional, and I'm not sure that the general setup woud be good for a bidirectional switch type of setup.

Are there any circuits out there that use FETs in an bidirectional SPDT configuration?

5. Sep 9, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You would make such a switch out of an analog switch topology, with a mix of n-channel and p-channel FETs. Here is one example of a SPDT analog switch from Maxim:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2561

Unfortunately, the datasheet doesn't show you the FET topology....

This one has a better internal schematic (although drawn kind of funny):

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/MM/MM74HC4066.pdf

And this is the basic analog switch schematic that I was looking for (but ignore the "amp" at the bottom):

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6577263-0-large.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?