1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speaker Sound waves

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1

sun

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pair of speakers separatd by .700m are driven by the same oscillator at a frequency of 690Hz. An observer originally positioned at one of the speakers begins to walk along a line perpindicular to the line joining the speakers. How far mus the observer walk before reaching a relative maximum in intensity

2. Relevant equations

v(air)=345m/s

r2-r1=n(lambda)

3. The attempt at a solution

How do i figure out the r values when only one side is given? I know i should use the pythagorean theorem here. I also know a relative maximum is constructive interference so i will use a full integer for n. r2-r2=1(lambda). I'm not sure what i'm missing here.

i have:
    f=690Hz
    lambda=.5m
    T=.0015s

suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Let A an B are the positions of speakers and C is the position of the observer. When observer listenes maximum intensity, the path difference CB -CA = lamda = 0.5 m. According to pythagorean theorem CB^2 - CA^2 = AB^2. Solve these equations and find the distance CA of the observer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?