Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Speaker Sound waves

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1

sun

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pair of speakers separatd by .700m are driven by the same oscillator at a frequency of 690Hz. An observer originally positioned at one of the speakers begins to walk along a line perpindicular to the line joining the speakers. How far mus the observer walk before reaching a relative maximum in intensity

2. Relevant equations

v(air)=345m/s

r2-r1=n(lambda)

3. The attempt at a solution

How do i figure out the r values when only one side is given? I know i should use the pythagorean theorem here. I also know a relative maximum is constructive interference so i will use a full integer for n. r2-r2=1(lambda). I'm not sure what i'm missing here.

i have:
    f=690Hz
    lambda=.5m
    T=.0015s

suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Let A an B are the positions of speakers and C is the position of the observer. When observer listenes maximum intensity, the path difference CB -CA = lamda = 0.5 m. According to pythagorean theorem CB^2 - CA^2 = AB^2. Solve these equations and find the distance CA of the observer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook