Speakers in a field/ destructive interferece

• Thread starter ravenprp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, in an open field with two loudspeakers emitting sound waves in phase at 688 Hz and a speed of sound in air of 344 m/s, the shortest distance to walk forward to experience perfect destructive interference is approximately 0.250 m, half of the wavelength of the sound waves. The speakers are set up 3.00 m and 3.50 m away from the listener, respectively.
ravenprp
Imagine you are in an open field where two loudspeakers are set up and connected to the same amplifier so that they emit sound waves in phase at 688 Hz. Take the speed of sound in air to be 344 m/s.

You are 3.00 m from speaker A directly to your right and 3.50 m from speaker B directly to your left

What is the shortest distance d you need to walk forward to be at a point where you cannot hear the speakers? D=
-----------

Ok, I've setup a picture that looks something like this

Speaker A ------- 3.0m --------- Me --------- 3.5 m ----- Speaker B

Ok, now... I know that I can get perfect destructive interefrence when the path length difference is HALF integer number wavelengths

so, v = lambda * f = 343 m/s = lambda * 688hz ... lambda =~ .500 m

so, lamda/2 = .250 m ... That is the shortest distance I know I have to travel in order to have perfect destructive interference.. but I don't know *how/where to* travel to with this distance

Now I'm cluless as to what I have to do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody have any idea?

To find the exact spot where you will experience perfect destructive interference, you need to use the formula for path length difference:

Δd = |d2 - d1|

where Δd is the path length difference, d2 is the distance from speaker B to your new position, and d1 is the distance from speaker A to your new position.

In this case, we know that the path length difference for perfect destructive interference is λ/2, which is approximately 0.250 m. So, we can set up the equation:

0.250 m = |3.50 m - d1| - |3.00 m - d1|

Solving for d1, we get:

d1 = 2.75 m

So, the shortest distance you need to walk forward is approximately 2.75 m to experience perfect destructive interference and not hear the speakers.

What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves of equal frequency and amplitude meet in a way that causes them to cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in overall amplitude. This can happen with any type of wave, including sound waves produced by speakers in a field.

How do speakers in a field produce sound?

Speakers in a field use electromagnetism to convert electrical signals into sound waves. When an electrical current flows through a wire coil attached to a speaker cone, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with a permanent magnet, causing the cone to vibrate and produce sound waves.

What factors affect the destructive interference of sound waves?

The frequency, amplitude, and phase difference of the sound waves can all affect the degree of destructive interference. Additionally, the distance between the two sources of the waves and the materials in the surrounding environment can also play a role.

How can destructive interference be utilized in speakers in a field?

Destructive interference can be used to cancel out unwanted background noise or to create a specific sound effect. By adjusting the distance and positioning of the speakers, sound engineers can manipulate the interference patterns to achieve the desired result.

Can destructive interference be harmful?

Destructive interference in sound waves is not harmful to humans. However, it can cause technical issues in audio systems if not properly managed. In extreme cases, it can also lead to sound distortion or cancellation, resulting in a poor listening experience.