Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speaking Mathematics

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1
    Which subjects should I study to speak mathematics in a superior form? Also, which books do you recommend?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2
    You could try going on wikipedia the online encyclopedia, to search for definitions of mathematical terms, but I am not sure what book would help you learn the language of math. Hope this helps!
  4. Sep 23, 2006 #3
    I wish to obtain a deeper core understanding of mathematics. Solving problems of course helps. I wish to have more pure understanding of the concepts. I am not sure if I am describing this clearly.
  5. Sep 23, 2006 #4
    Books and school/university courses. theres no better way to learn something than with an actual person physically there to ask for help from.
  6. Sep 23, 2006 #5
    Is there a subject of mathematics that is similar to ASM in Computer Science? For example, when I first studied programming, I learned Perl. I wanted a deeper understanding of the computer, so I studied C then I mastered Assembly.
  7. Sep 23, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Logic and set theory are the underpinnings of modern mathmatics, so if you want an 'assembly'-style low-level understanding I'd start there. I used and enjoyed Enderton's A Mathematical Introduction to Logic.
  8. Sep 24, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"Common sense logic" takes you deep into maths, to study the subtilities of mathematical logic is not, perhaps, the best starting point.
  9. Sep 24, 2006 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree that mathematical logic is deep and not a good place to begin. However, if you're looking for ASM, that's where it is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?