Special case of nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation.

In summary: But for now, that's what I'm going with. Thanks for the offer though!In summary, the nonlinear ODE is:v[t]*v'[t] + (4*v[t])/(t^2 - 1) = t/(t^2 - 1)where:v\frac{dv}{dz}=v+\Phi(t)=y+\frac{g(t)}{f(t)}and:z=\int f(t)=h(t)which can be solved exactly but that's still no guarantee my explanation above is correct for the general case.
sola maths
Hi there,

I've having problems solving a particular nonlinear ODE. Any help/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

The nonlinear ODE is:

v[t]*v'[t] + (4*v[t])/(t^2 - 1) = t/(t^2 - 1)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If:

[tex]z=\int f(x)dx[/tex]

then:

[tex]\frac{dz}{dx}=f(x)[/tex]

or:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dz}=\frac{1}{f}[/tex]

now just substitute back into the original DE

Thanks for your reply, I understand your point but if you look at the example in the link I posted, you will see that the substitution is not as straightforward as you put it.

Seems to me that there's some sort of parametrization to be done.

. . . what did I get myself into. But that's ok, need to be willing to try things in math to succeed and not let the risk of failure stop you but I'd rather not make two mistakes in one day. So I think it's this below but I'd have to work on it more with real problems to verify it ok.

Suppose you have:

[tex]vv'=f(t)v+g(t)[/tex]

and you let:

[tex]z=\int f dt[/tex]

to obtain:

[tex]v\frac{dv}{dz}=v+\Phi(t)[/tex]

where:

[tex]\Phi(t)=\frac{g(t)}{f(t)}[/tex]

and suppose we're able to solve:

[tex]v\frac{dv}{dz}=v+\Phi(z)=v+\frac{g(z)}{f(z)}[/tex]

say for example the solution is:

[tex]v(z)=z^3-3\sin(z)[/tex]

but z is paramaterized by t so that we can write the solution for the original problem as:

[tex]v(t)=z^3-3\sin(z);\quad z=\int f(t)[/tex]

I'm not sure at this point but it's what I'm going with for now until I can verify that or someone can correct me.

Also, I should mention this holds for the simple case:

[tex]vv'=tv+t[/tex]

which can be solved exactly but that's still no guarantee my explanation above is correct for the general case. Never worked on this type of problem before

Last edited:
Ok, after reviewing I don't think that's correct. If we have:

[tex]y\frac{dy}{dz}=y+\Phi(t)=y+\frac{g(t)}{f(t)}[/tex]

and:

[tex]z=\int f(t)=h(t)[/tex]

then I believe we'd have to compute the inverse:

[tex]t=h^{-1}(z)[/tex]

then solve:

[tex]y\frac{dy}{dz}=y+\Phi\big(h^{-1}(z)\big)[/tex]

I'm probably making a mess out of this but I'd at least like to demonstrate how sometimes real math is not so neat and pretty and quick and often fought with many wrong turns and maybe I'm still going wrong.

Pheeww! Mathematics indeed could be rattling, been on the problem for sometime now.
The problem I foresee with your last review is computing:

[tex]t=h^{-1}(z)[/tex]

Can't see how that will be done.

Well I probably don't have it exactly right yet. However if this was my problem, I would go to the library and find one of those Russian texts cited in the Eqnworld reference and get some simple test cases with the answers and study them and maybe the references would explain how the parameterization is used. I'll look at it more later.

1. What is a nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation?

A nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is called "nonlinear" because the function and/or its derivative(s) are raised to a power or multiplied by each other, making it more complex than a linear differential equation. It is also referred to as an "ordinary" differential equation because it involves only one independent variable.

2. How is a special case of nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation different from a general nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation?

A special case of nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation is a simplified version of the general equation, where certain parameters or variables are held constant or are equal to zero. This results in a more manageable equation that can be solved using specific methods. In contrast, a general nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation contains all possible parameters and variables, making it more difficult to solve.

3. What are some examples of special cases of nonlinear first order ordinary differential equations?

Some examples include the logistic equation, the Bernoulli equation, and the Riccati equation. These equations are commonly used to model various physical, biological, and social phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and economic trends.

4. What methods can be used to solve a special case of nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a special case of nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation, depending on the specific equation and its parameters. These methods include separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and exact equations. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

5. Why are special cases of nonlinear first order ordinary differential equations important in scientific research?

Special cases of nonlinear first order ordinary differential equations are important because they allow us to model and understand complex phenomena in a simplified way. By holding certain parameters or variables constant, we can isolate and study specific aspects of a system or process. This can provide valuable insights and predictions that can be applied to real-world situations. Additionally, special cases of these equations often have analytical solutions, making them easier to work with and interpret.