Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Conformal Transformations

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    Hello,

In conformal geometry there is a 15-parameter symmetry group.

I have an rough conceptual understanding of the 3 spatial translations, the 1 temporal translation, the 3 rotations, the 3 Lorentz "boosts", and the 1 dilation transformation.

I am having trouble conceptualizing the remaining 4 "special conformal transformations", which appear to be combinations of translations, rotations, and possibly something referred to as "inversion". Some have drawn a parallel to "accelerations"?

If there are any math aficionados out there who can give me a more intuitive, conceptual, visual understanding of what is going on physically with these special conformal transformations, I would be eternally grateful.

Maybe one approach might be to start with a homogeneous sphere and say: "Ok, when we subject the sphere to a SCT, these physical processes happen to the sphere.

Also, why are there specifically 4 SCTs?

Any help would be welcome and the more different perspectives, the better.

Yours in science
    Knecht
    www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted