1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special functions and application to physics

1. Aug 22, 2005 #1
    can anyone help me in solving my doubt that what is the application of special functions and Hermite,Legenders,Laguerre function to the various branches of physics.
    could u please specify any link or site adress.
    thank you :mad:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what "doubt" you have! Hermite, Legendre, and Laguerre functions are all defined as solutions to certain differential equations that show when solving Laplace's equation (or the wave equation or the heat equation) in certain coordinate systems. What more do you want to know?
  4. Aug 22, 2005 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check out Morse and Feshbach, Mthods of Theoretical Physics or N N Lebedev, Special Functions and Their Applications, all of the functions that you mentioned are in there with many examples of their application. One oif the best math coursees I took as an undergrad was a seminar in Special Functions, it cvome4s in handy fairly regularly.
  5. Aug 22, 2005 #4
    the 2nd half of whittaker/watson's a course of modern analysis has lots of info on special functions. it includes sections on the gamma function, riemann zeta function, hypergeometric function, legendre functions, bessel functions, mathieu functions, elliptic functions, etc. the whole thing has practical application though. most of the stuff would apply to engineering & physics, not pure math.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?