1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special R

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two trains, A and B, are moving towards each other with relative speed 0.8c. The
    passing of the two trains (from when their fronts align to when their backs align) takes 20%
    longer as observed from train A as is does as observed from train B. What is the ratio of the
    length of A to the length of B?

2. Relevant equations

I am guessing:
    T'=Tsqrt(1-(v/c)^2)
    L'=Lsqrt(1-(v/c)^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused, I feel like there is missing information?

I am trying to relate these two equations! but im really not sure how to go about solving this one!! please help. just so i know where to start....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2
    Let LA represent the length of train A in its own rest frame, and let LB represent the length of train B in its own rest frame. Let v be the relative velocity.

The observers on train A focus on 3 sequential events:
    1. The front of train B aligns with the front of train A.
    2. The front of train B aligns with the rear of train A.
    3. The rear of train B aligns with the rear of train A.

Draw diagrams of these three events.

Knowing the rest length of train A and the relative velocity of the trains, what is the time interval between events 1 and 2 (as reckoned by the observers on train A)?
    What is the length of train B as reckoned by the observers on train A, knowing the rest length of train B and the relative velocity of the trains?
    Knowing the length of train B as reckoned by the observers on train A and the relative velocity of the trains, what is the time interval between events 2 and 3 (as reckoned by the observers on train A)?
    As reckoned by the observers on train A, what is the time interval between events 1 and 3?
    Now, do the same analysis for the observers on train B. As reckoned by the observers on train B, what is the time interval between events 1 and 3?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook