1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special region of R}^n

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    Hi,
    I am looking for a "good" way to parametrize the region of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] where one coordinate, say [tex]x_1[/tex] is greater than all the others.

I came up with a possiblity to do that in hyperspherical coordinates [tex]\{r,\varphi_1,\varphi_2,\dots ,\varphi_{n-1}\}[/tex]

where

[tex]0\leq r \leq\infty[/tex]
    [tex]0\leq \varphi_{n-1} \leq 2\pi[/tex]
    [tex]0\leq \varphi_\nu \leq\pi \quad\quad 1\leq\nu\leq n-2[/tex]

Then for example, if I wanted to integrate over the region of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] where
    [tex]x_1 \geq x_2 \dots \geq x_n[/tex]
    I could do it like this

[tex]\int_0^\infty dr\int_{-\frac{3}{4}\pi}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}d\varphi_n \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}-ArcTan[Cos[\varphi_n]]}d\varphi_{n-1}\dots\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}-ArcTan[Cos[\varphi_2]]}d\varphi_1 r^{n-1}Sin[\varphi_1]^{n-2}\dots Sin[\varphi_{n-1}] + [/tex] [tex]+ \int_0^\infty dr\int_{-\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{5}{4}\pi}d\varphi_n \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}-ArcTan[Sin[\varphi_n]]}d\varphi_{n-1}\dots\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}-ArcTan[Cos[\varphi_2]]}d\varphi_1 r^{n-1}Sin[\varphi_1]^{n-2}\dots Sin[\varphi_{n-1}] [/tex]

If I then sum over all permutations of [tex]\{x_2,\dots ,x_n\}[/tex] I can integrate over the region where [tex]x_1[/tex] is greater than all the other coordinates. However the integration limits are somewhat unwieldy so my question is if anybody knows of a better way to parametrize the region I am interested in.

Thanks

Cheers,
    Pere

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted