Special Relativity and Entanglement

• Thread starter thenewmans
  • Start date
Now this may be derived from my mis guided interpretation of QM and will probably label me the nut-case of the forum, however i also think that there must be something happening that is faster then light. But i don't think that its a signal or anything else that is traveling in a straight line connecting the two entangled parts. We have observed that electrons have the ability to (in layman's terms) blink in and out and "disappear". We see the world as three dimensions but what if there really was a 4th (or 11 if you buy into that theory as well) and the electrons were disappearing out of our 3 dimensional sight and bypassing space time to make the change. I always think of it like seeing two particles on a piece of paper. One on the top of the paper and the other on the bottom. The fastest way to connect the two particles is not to make a straight line between them but to fold the paper in half so that they are touching. ( does this make me crazy??)
Yes, you’re completely loony. But, you’re in good company. I think of things like this on occasion that I don’t post simply because I’d rather not assume a particular interpretation or untestable theory. I’ve heard of fundamental particles blinking in and out but I’ve never looked into it. I’ve always assumed that means its location is not actually known or that the conservation of mass and energy would prevent that. So if an electron blinks out, a gamma ray would be left behind. It’s more likely for an electron and an anti-electron (called a positron) to collide and 2 gamma ray pop out. This maintains the law of conservation. It’s like E=MC^2. This is part of how PET scans work.

Now here’s another fun idea for cooking your noodle. Ever since Dirac predicted positrons, physicists have theorized that they are actually electrons moving backwards through time. And that may be the case with all anti-particles. Photons and other force carriers (energy) have no anti-particles.

I have this idea kicking around in my head that I have yet to admit. I keep thinking that there’s some component of photons that moves backwards in time along the photon’s path carrying the measurement back to the source. Perhaps it’s not the measurement but the spin. I don’t know. In the case of entangled photons, the spin gets set at the source so that both photons always have the correct spin. This avoids the problem of hidden variables since the spin is still affected by the measurements. In some way, this explains the double-slit experiment as well. So you’re not the only crazy one here.

So basically what i am getting out of this is that I AM in fact crazy like everyone else who buys into this QM stuff but am only one of the few that are just crazy enough to actually write down our preposterous ideas?

So basically what i am getting out of this is that I AM in fact crazy like everyone else who buys into this QM stuff but am only one of the few that are just crazy enough to actually write down our preposterous ideas?
To be honest, I’ve seen your idea discussed here before. I don’t recall how the discussion went. So I hope someone more knowledgeable than I replies to your post. And most members post far out ideas on occasion, even the ones with little honor badges. It’s all part of the fun.