Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity Basics

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    I'm on my first pass through special relativity and I can't remember the math that would take me from:

(∂τ/∂x') + (ν/(c22))(∂τ/∂t) = 0

To

τ = φ(ν)(t - (ν/(c2 - ν2))x')

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, sorry for the terrible format, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do equations the right way. Any tips in that direction that would apply to an iPhone would be much appreciated as well... :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where are you getting these equations from?

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3
    Here:
    http://fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/
    Sorry about that. It's an adaptation of the 1905 Einstein paper On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies. I followed the math through section 3 up until the derivation of the first equation in my post, but I can't remember why an assumption of linearity would allow me to transform the first equation in my post into the second.

5. Feb 11, 2015 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Linearity means that ##\partial \tau / \partial x'## and ##\partial \tau / \partial t## must be constants--i.e., they cannot be functions of ##x'## or ##t##. (They can still depend on ##v##, because ##v## is not a function of any of the coordinates.) So we must have ##\tau = k_1 t + k_2 x'##, where ##k_1## and ##k_2## are constants. The first equation in your OP then lets you find the values of ##k_1## and ##k_2##, up to an unknown function of ##v## (the ##a## in the second equation).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. Feb 11, 2015 #5
    Perfect. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook