Special relativity. energy

V. Now go back to the v=1.00000*c and plug in the energy in eV you just found. It's only off by about 1.2%.good catch on the stupid mistake. I'm not sure I follow your second suggestion though.First, I need to go back to the equation:v^{2}-\frac{v^{4}}{c^{2}} = 3.15x10^{18}I get an imaginary number when I solve that, but I'm not sure what you mean by solving for sqrt(1-v^2/c^2).Also, I don't understand what you mean by plug in 1c,
jk4

Homework Statement

In its own frame of reference, a proton takes 5 min to cross the Milky Way galaxy, which is about [tex]10^{5}[/tex] light-years in diameter.
(a) What is the approximate energy of the proton in electronvolts?
(b) About how long would the proton take to cross the galaxy as measured by and observer in the galaxy's reference frame?

Homework Equations

[tex]T = \frac{T_{0}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]

[tex]L = L_{0} \sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}[/tex]

mass of proton = [tex]1.6726x10^{-27} kg[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the first thing I need to find is the velocity of the proton. Is that right?

first I calculate the distance in meters:
so [tex]10^{5}[/tex] light-years = [tex]9.45x10^{20} m[/tex]

Then I set up the equation with time in seconds (5min = 300s) (going to leave out units):
and [tex]T_{0}[/tex] is found by (distance/velocity) so (the distance above in meters)/v
[tex]300 = \frac{9.45x10^{20}}{v \sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]

Anyways, when I run into problems when I try and solve this.

Also the book shows the answer, which I have copied below exactly how it appears in book:
~[tex]10^{19} eV;[/tex] ~[tex]10^{5} y[/tex]

So I'm assuming they used some kind of approximations, because If I use those values and work backwards I get a velocity of 1c I'm assuming the real velocity is like .99999c ect.. But my calculator just rounds off after so many digits.

Physics news on Phys.org
jk4 said:
Then I set up the equation with time in seconds (5min = 300s) (going to leave out units):
and [tex]T_{0}[/tex] is found by (distance/velocity) so (the distance above in meters)/v
[tex]300 = \frac{9.45x10^{20}}{v \sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]
Good :approve:. All the remains now is some algebraic manipulation, which can be a little awkward but is solvable non the less. I suggest you start by bringing the denominator to the LHS, dividing through by 300 and then squaring both sides.

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to lay out your problem properly. It's a nice to see someone who take pride in their work and puts some effort into presentation.

well I tried doing it like you said, and I got as far as:
[tex]v^{2}-\frac{v^{4}}{c^{2}} = 3.15 x 10^{18}[/tex]

So from there, I tried doing the quadratic equation. by substituting u in for [tex]v^{2}[/tex] so I had:
[tex]-\frac{1}{c^{2}}u^{2} + u - 3.15 x 10^{18} = 0[/tex]

but then because 4ac is bigger than [tex]b^{2}[/tex] I get an imaginary number.

Also, to make sure I'm not doing it wrong I plugged the entire equation into my calculator that has a "solve" feature, and it gave me the answer "false"...

jk4 said:
well I tried doing it like you said, and I got as far as:
[tex]v^{2}-\frac{v^{4}}{c^{2}} = 3.15 x 10^{18}[/tex]

So from there, I tried doing the quadratic equation. by substituting u in for [tex]v^{2}[/tex] so I had:
[tex]-\frac{1}{c^{2}}u^{2} + u - 3.15 x 10^{18} = 0[/tex]

but then because 4ac is bigger than [tex]b^{2}[/tex] I get an imaginary number.

Also, to make sure I'm not doing it wrong I plugged the entire equation into my calculator that has a "solve" feature, and it gave me the answer "false"...
There must be an error somewhere, but I can't seem to spot it. In any case, a much more straight-forward approach would be to use four-vectors. Have you come across four-vectors before?

only briefly, as in I've read about them and I know spacetime x,y,z,ict is one, but I have never seen them used in any calculations, and wouldn't know how to begin.

alright, I think I may be on to something. I decided to start from scratch, and think of it from the protons point of view as if the galaxy was moving, so the size of the galaxy then becomes (in the protons frame of reference):
[tex]L = 9.45x10^{20}\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}[/tex]

then the time it takes (5min or 300seconds) is equal to the distance over the velocity so:
[tex]\frac{9.45x10^{20}\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}{v} = 300[/tex]

and it is much easier to solve for v. If I find exact values though I run into the same probelm I did when working backwards, I get a speed of 1c. However, if I do the same calculation with rounding I get 0.9996c for the velocity but, then when I finish finding the energy with velocity 0.9996c I get [tex]3.3x10^{10} eV[/tex] whereas the book says the answer is ~[tex]10^{19} eV[/tex], so clearly something is still wrong.

I'm still thinking that it has to do with the fact I had to round to get something other than 1c. I bet the answer just has so many 9's after the decimal that my calculator treats it as exactly 1, and this would explain why the book put a "~" in front of the answer, they must have had to use some approximation methods unknown to me.
unless of course I'm still just getting it wrong lol.

The approximation they likely used is that the proton's velocity is so close to c, that you can approximate that the time needed to cross the galaxy from a 'rest' observers viewpoint is really close to 10^5 years. So the gamma factor is 10^5*years/(5*min). Then just multiply the rest energy of the proton by that gamma factor. To solve it using your exact approach, you forgot to square the constant part 3.15*10^(18). But even then, you'd better be prepared to keep a lot of significant figures around.

Last edited:
jk4 said:
[tex]\frac{9.45x10^{20}\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}{v} = 300[/tex]

Now I think that's right. In your first attempt I think you had a gamma factor upside down. But still v is still so close to c you are going to have a hard time solving for it. Just solve for sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). Take v/c~1.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory of space and time developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how the laws of physics remain the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

What is the equation for energy in special relativity?

The equation for energy in special relativity is E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

How does special relativity affect our understanding of energy?

Special relativity states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. It also shows that the total energy of an object includes both its rest energy (energy at rest) and its kinetic energy (energy due to motion).

What is the role of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by c, is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which all forms of energy and information can travel. This constant plays a crucial role in the equations of special relativity and helps explain many of its effects, such as time dilation and length contraction.

How is special relativity applicable in everyday life?

Special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology, including GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also helps explain many observed phenomena, such as the behavior of high-speed particles and the aging of astronauts in space.