Special Relativity in a Periodic Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses a project on special relativity in a periodic universe. The speaker is looking for more information on the topic and mentions a paper discussing the Twin Paradox in a closed universe. They also mention wanting to learn more about the effects of a closed universe on time dilation.
beardless2
Im doing a project this yr on the title in the subject and i have been struggling to find information on this problem when using a PERIODIC universe. It would be very useful for me in anyone can post any links to websites/acrobat reader docs regarding this.

I have found one where the universe was modeled as a cylinder and the twin paradox used on it where twin A stays at home so travels straight up the cylinder and twin B travels around the cylinder and eventually crosses twin A's path. so anymore examples like this would be great

Topics to be considered are:

*How can special relativity be formulated in a universe in which a spatial dimension is periodic (ie cylinder)

*twin paradox: What do the clocks of these two inertial observers show at each pass?

*Two general inertial oberservers:

*One inertial observer and light rays:

Thanx in advance

Beardless

Physics news on Phys.org
I read a paper last summer which discussed the resolution of the Twin Paradox in a closed universe. It was in Am J. Phys (American Journal of Physics), but unfortunately I can't find the exact reference. It was also rather mathematically complex, so you may find it difficult to follow (depending on your level). The upshot of the paper, though, was that the TP was not a paradox again, due to certain ways which inertial frames were transported in the spacetime.

would that happen to be the 1990 edition one? - as i have seen that and was looking for more. I really look for stuff on the difference it makes to time dilation when having a closed universe.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects move in space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. What is a periodic universe?

A periodic universe is a theoretical concept that suggests the universe is infinite and repeats itself in a cyclical pattern. This means that after a certain amount of time, the universe would return to a state identical to its previous state.

3. How does special relativity apply to a periodic universe?

In a periodic universe, the laws of special relativity still hold true. However, the concept of time and space may be different in each cycle. This means that observers in different cycles may experience time and space differently, but the laws of physics remain consistent.

4. What evidence supports special relativity in a periodic universe?

One of the main pieces of evidence that supports the idea of special relativity in a periodic universe is the cosmic microwave background radiation. This radiation is believed to be the remnants of the Big Bang and is consistent throughout the observable universe, suggesting a cyclical pattern.

5. Can special relativity in a periodic universe be tested?

At this time, there is no way to directly test the concept of special relativity in a periodic universe. However, scientists continue to study and gather evidence to support this theory. Additionally, advancements in technology may one day allow for direct testing of this concept.