1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity of electrons

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1
    1. How close would two stationary electrons have to be positioned so that their total mass is twice what it is when the electrons are very far apart?

2. p = (mv) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
    E = (mc2) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
    E = mc2
    m = (rest mass) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
    L = (proper length)*(squareroot(1-(v2/c2))

3. m = 2(rest mass)
    m = (rest mass) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
    v = 6.75 * 1016

I solved up to the velocity but I don't know how to calculate the distance.

1. A spacecraft approaching the earth launches an exploration vehicle. After the launch, an observer on earth sees the spacecraft approaching at a speed of 0.50c and the exploration vehicle approaching at a speed of 0.70c. What is the speed of the exploration vehicle relative to the spaceship?

2. u = (u' + v) / (1 + (u;v/ c2))
    u' = (u - v) / ( 1- (uv/c2))

3. I attempted this problem by setting u' equal to each other (each u either represents the exploration vehicle or the spaceship). But, I got stuck. I didn't know which v was for which vehicle/spaceship.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The electrical potential energy has to equal 2me2. What is the expression for that potential energy in terms of distance between the electrons?

Use http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/einvel.html#c1"

AM

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook