How Does Speed Affect Space Measurements in Special Relativity?

In summary, a rocket traveling from Earth to the moon at a speed of 0.8c would take 1.6 seconds according to an observer on Earth and 0.96 seconds according to an astronaut on the rocket using the Lorentz transformation. The earth-moon distance measured by the astronaut on the rocket would be contracted due to length contraction as the rocket approaches the speed of light.
capslock
A rocket travels from Earth to the moon (distance measured from the Earth 384000km) at a speed v = 0.8c.

(i) How long does it the trip take according to an observer on earth?

Just used straightforward Newtonian mechanics,

t = 384000*10^3/(0.8*3*10^8) = 1.6s.

(ii) How long does the trip take according to the astronaut?

Used the lorentz transformation,
t' = \gamma (t - u/c^2 x)
= (0.36)^(-1/2) * (1.6 - 0.8/c^2 * 384000*10^3)
= 0.96s

I believe this part is correct? Now the part I am stuck on is:

(iii) What is the earth-moon distance measured by an astronaut on the rocket?

Could someone please explain to me the principles behind the calculation? I am finding it difficult to get my head around SR!

Many thanks, James.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a calculator on hand so i can't verify the first two for you. The third one has to do with a phenomenon called length contraction. As you approach the speed of light, the length measured by the person in the rocket ship of the distance between the Earth and moon becomes contracted according to the equation [tex] L' = \frac{{L & & _0 }}{\gamma }[/tex] where [tex] L' [/tex] is the distance measured by the person traveling in the rocket ship.

In special relativity, the concept of length contraction is introduced. This means that, as an object moves at high speeds, its length in the direction of motion appears shorter to an observer. In this case, the astronaut on the rocket is moving at a speed of 0.8c relative to the Earth, so the distance between the Earth and the Moon will appear shorter to them.

The formula for length contraction is given by L' = L/\gamma, where L is the length measured by the stationary observer and L' is the length measured by the moving observer. In this case, the astronaut is the moving observer and the distance between the Earth and the Moon (384000km) is the length measured by the stationary observer.

Using the Lorentz factor \gamma = (1 - v^2/c^2)^(-1/2), we can calculate the distance measured by the astronaut:

L' = L/\gamma = 384000km/(0.6)^(-1/2) = 320000km

So, according to the astronaut on the rocket, the distance between the Earth and the Moon is 320000km. This is shorter than the distance measured by the stationary observer on Earth, due to the effects of length contraction.

1. What is the basic concept of special relativity?

The basic concept of special relativity is that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocities. This means that there is no preferred frame of reference and the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial frames and includes the effects of gravity. Special relativity only applies to flat spacetime, while general relativity takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects.

3. How does special relativity explain time dilation?

Special relativity states that time is relative and can appear to pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative velocities. This is known as time dilation and is caused by the constant speed of light and the stretching of spacetime.

4. Can special relativity be experimentally tested?

Yes, special relativity has been extensively tested and has been confirmed by numerous experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. The predictions of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, have been observed and verified through various experiments.

5. How does special relativity affect our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity revolutionized our understanding of the universe by showing that space and time are not absolute, but are relative concepts. It also led to the development of the famous equation E=mc^2, which explains the relationship between mass and energy. Special relativity is also a crucial component of modern theories such as the Standard Model and the theory of general relativity.