1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity problem

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two spaceships (A and B) are travelling in opposite ways. An observer in Earth measures both velocities.
    The speed of ship A (Va) = 0.75c.
    The speed of ship B (Vb) = 0.85c.
    What's the speed of **** B regarding ship A?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I tried solving it using Galileu's relativity, but I've reached the result of 1.6c.
    Then I remembered that when we're dealing with speeds close to c we have to use Einstein's special relativity, so I've looked around all the formulas I have but none of them involved velocity, only time, spaceship length, and there are also the ones involving energy but I don't think that has nothing to do with this exercise.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    I've used u'= -.85c and v=.75c

Substituting I got u= -.85c-.75c / 1-(-.85*.75) = -.977c

Therefore the speed of ship B regarding ship A is -0.977c

Is that solution correct? I think I've done everything right but i'd like to be sure :D

Thanks!

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good. The relative speed is correct, which is all you need. (The sign depends on your convention.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook