Understanding the Lorentz Transformation Equation for Time

In summary: I have been trying to do this on my own for a while now and I am starting to get really lost.Can you walk me through this one step by step?In summary, the Lorentz transformation equation for time is t'=γ(t-vx/c^2).
cr41g
Question
Suppose an inertial frame of reference S’ moves at a constant velocity v in the
positive x-direction with respect to a second inertial frame S. The Lorentz
transformation from S to S’ for the x coordinate of displacement is given by:
x′ =γ (x − vt)
Write down a corresponding expression for the inverse transformation, i.e. from
S’ to S, giving x in terms of x’ and t’.
Use these two expressions to derive the Lorentz transformation equation for time:

t'=γ(t-vx/c^2)

I think I have the first part, I answered x =γ (x' + vt). But the second part I have no idea I have been looking online and even watching lectures on youtube.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry vt'

Do you know the second part or even where I should start?

You've got x' in terms of x and t, and x in terms of x' and t'. Which variable don't you want to appear in the final expression?

X' I think. Sorry if I sound a bit stupid. I'm in my first year and this is only my second question.

Take your answer for the first part, substitute in for x' in terms of x and t, then solve for t' in terms of x and t.

Ok I've done what you have said and got-

t'=(x+γ(γx-γvt))/γv

Now I am competent lost

Completely*

This is correct, you just need to simplify it. What is γ equal to?

Expand the Lorentz gammas and collect terms. Courage! This one always looks a mess to me until it all clicks into place at the end.

Can anyone actually show me this step as I am completely thrown. I just can't make sense of it.

You have a sign wrong in your expression for t', I just noticed. That might be your problem.

Yeah I found that when I started from scratch. But I'm still at a loss. It just looks a mess. Do you expand all the gammas?

Collect your x and t terms. The t term should fall out straight away. That leaves the x term. I'd suggest that if in doubt, expand, is a good rule of thumb here. You might want to use [itex]\beta=v/c[/itex] to save ink.

Ok. Well just got into bed so I will give it a go before I go to university tomrrow. Thanks for your help guys.

When you studied algebra, did they teach you how to solve 2 linear algebraic equations in two unknowns?

Yeah as far as I'm aware no hate when algebra is explained in words. But yeah I think I did.

cr41g said:
Yeah as far as I'm aware no hate when algebra is explained in words. But yeah I think I did.
If that is the case, that's all you have to do in this problem. Your two unknowns are x and t. Solve for 'em.

Chet

Thank you

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant speeds in a straight line. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

2. How is special relativity different from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time. Special relativity is a special case of general relativity, applicable in the absence of strong gravitational fields.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol 'c', is the cosmic speed limit in special relativity. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and that the laws of physics change at very high speeds. This is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How does special relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to special relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the motion of an object. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object relative to an observer. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been confirmed through experiments with high-speed particles and atomic clocks.

5. Can special relativity be applied in everyday life?

Yes, special relativity has practical applications in many areas of modern life, such as GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also helps us understand fundamental concepts in physics, such as the behavior of light, energy, and matter at high speeds.