1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity - tachyons

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hypothetically we could wonder what happens when two observers communicate with one
    another using so-called tachyons: faster-than-light particles.

a: Draw a spacetime diagram of two observers, Bob and Boba, both at rest. Draw a tachyon
    signal with a speed v = 5c from Bob to Boba.
    b: Do Bob and Boba both agree that Bob sent the signal before Boba received it?
    c: Now Alice passes both Bob and Boba on her way to infinity. Is it possible for Alice to
    pick a speed such that for her both the emission by Bob as well as the reception of the signal by Boba are simultaneous?
    d: Draw another observer for which the reception of the signal in fact happens prior to the
    emission by Bob.

3. The attempt at a solution

a: No problem.
    b: Yes, only another observer could observe Boba receiving the signal before Bob sent it?
    c: Just a guess, (1/5)c? I have no idea why.
    d: This I can do by adding another observer who is also whizzing by Bob and Boba and who receives the tachyon signal from Alice?

I attempted some solutions, but I'm feeling really lost and all I'm doing is guessing. Could someone guide me through b, c and d in a simple manner? I'm only in the second week of my first year as an undergraduate, so I really need an explanation that doesn't assume too much background yet.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted