Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity. timespace correlation.

1. Aug 21, 2004 #1
    When you move through space time slows down, this is part of special reletivity right. Hence when Light is moving at 670 million miles a hour time stops, and if you were to try and fly a spacecraft at 335 million miles an hour time would slow down by 1/2. But what I want to know is, since we are moving through space even by sitting here(the earth spins, it orbits the sun, our solarsystem is being sucked into the blackhole in the center of the milkyway, the milkyway is also moving away from the big bang) Does this mean time is actually skewed for us, does time pass differently for us on earth than say for a being on another planet in another solarsystem that perhaps isnt moving too much?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2
    And perhaps this can be linked to multidimensions, since almost everything moves through space unevenly time has to cope with this. I dunno.
  4. Aug 21, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To speak of "skewing" time or space you must specify a frame of reference to which you are comparing. No one will EVER experience a personal change in the rate of time.
  5. Aug 21, 2004 #4
    First of all, this is in fact incorrect. The formula used to find the time dilation factor is [tex]\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}[/tex]
    . This yields a factor of 0.867 for v=.50c.
    I would assume so.
  6. Aug 21, 2004 #5

What I mean by this is for a comet going 500,000 miles an hour or more time passes more slowly than for me sitting here, this comet does not exist in the time I am experiancing.
  7. Aug 21, 2004 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But you still have to specify a frame in which the time is "slower", just as Integral said. A clock in the comet's frame would tick more slowly than your clock, according to you. But to an observer riding alongside the comet, your watch would tick more slowly than his, according to him. You have to specify a frame when you ask such questions.

Sure it does. The comet exists in every frame.
  8. Aug 21, 2004 #7
    All I really wanted to get out of this thread is this: Since we are moving through space just by being on the planet earth, we are not moving through time as fast, my point of referance is a hypathetical planet just ouside the milky way that does not move through space at all, just time. Does anyone know how fast we are moving through space(In reference to nothing, pick a stationary point in space, thats the referance.)
  9. Aug 21, 2004 #8
    Actually this would fit under general relativity, my mistake :)
  10. Aug 21, 2004 #9
    Thank you for the correction, I just assumed :rolleyes: When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me :tongue:
  11. Aug 21, 2004 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a serious conceptual error. Motion is always in reference to something. All motion is relative. When you say: "I'm travelling at 'x' m/s", the statement is meaningless unless you specify x m/s => with respect to what?. Similarly, if you claim to be stationary, the question that naturally arises is: stationary relative to what? Nothing is at rest in the absolute sense.

Actually, you were right the first time. Your question falls under the realm of special relativity.
  12. Aug 21, 2004 #11
    I guess that debunks/answers my question. I'm just starting out here, physics is ****ed up. I'm loving it. Thanks to all. :yuck:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?