Solving the Rocket Ship Problem

In summary, the problem involves two rocket ships, each with a rest length of 100 meters, one at rest in frame S and one at rest in frame S'. Event A synchronizes the two frames and event B is when the tail of rocket 2 passes the nose of rocket 1 at a time of 2.5 microseconds in frame S. The speed V is found using length contraction and the Lorentz transforms. In the second part of the problem, event C is when the nose of rocket 2 passes the tail of rocket 1, and the time coordinate with respect to the S frame is found by dividing the length of the ship by the relative velocity. The answer is approximately 0.132c.
strangequark

Homework Statement

Two rocket ships, each with a rest length of 100 meters. Rocket 1 is at rest in frame S and has nose at x=0, tail at x = +100 meters. Rocket 2 is at rest in frame S' and has nose at x' = 0 and tail at x'=-100 meters. Suppose S' moves with speed V in the positive x direction realtive to S. Event A synchronizes the two frames (x=x'=t=t'=0), and event B is when the tail o rocket 2 passes the nose of rocket 1 at time t=2.5 microseconds in frame S. Find the speed V...

Homework Equations

Length contraction, and the lorentz transforms.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was say that the distance rocket 2 moved as observed from the S frame was:

[tex]x_{b}=\frac{L_{0}}{\gamma}[/tex]

Then the velocity would be distance over time, or:

[tex]v=\frac{\frac{L_{0}}{\gamma}}{t_{B}}[/tex]

Then I solve for v and get something like .133c for my relative velocity...
Am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Yes, you're right.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks!... while you're here, the second part of the problem states that event C is the event that the nose of rocket 2 passes the tail of rocket 1 and asks for the time coordinate with respect to the S frame...

I'm thinking that I can just take the length of the ship (100 m) and divide by the relative velocity... but it seems too simple...

strangequark said:
Awesome, thanks!... while you're here, the second part of the problem states that event C is the event that the nose of rocket 2 passes the tail of rocket 1 and asks for the time coordinate with respect to the S frame...

I'm thinking that I can just take the length of the ship (100 m) and divide by the relative velocity... but it seems too simple...

Yes, that will give you the answer. BTW I get 0.132c for part 1.

Last edited:
Sorry, yeah, I end up with .132254c also.

Great... maybe I'm not as confused about this as I feel sometimes. I tend to think myself into circles with relativity...

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this with me... Thanks!

What is the "Rocket Ship Problem"?

The Rocket Ship Problem is a theoretical scenario in which a rocket ship is launched from Earth and must reach a distant planet in the shortest amount of time possible.

What factors affect the solution to the Rocket Ship Problem?

The solution to the Rocket Ship Problem is affected by a variety of factors including the distance between Earth and the planet, the speed and efficiency of the rocket ship, and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies in the path of the rocket.

What is the current state of research on solving the Rocket Ship Problem?

Scientists and engineers are continually researching and developing new technologies and strategies to solve the Rocket Ship Problem. Some potential solutions include using solar sails, ion propulsion engines, and gravitational slingshot maneuvers.

How does solving the Rocket Ship Problem impact space exploration?

Solving the Rocket Ship Problem could greatly impact space exploration by allowing for faster and more efficient travel to distant planets and beyond. This could open up new possibilities for scientific research and potential colonization of other worlds.

What are the ethical considerations involved in solving the Rocket Ship Problem?

Some ethical considerations involved in solving the Rocket Ship Problem include the potential impact on other celestial bodies and the environment, as well as the potential risks and costs involved in such a mission. Additionally, there may be ethical considerations regarding the distribution and allocation of resources for space exploration versus other needs on Earth.