Writing Equations of Particle Trajectories in Proper Time

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equations for proper time t of a particle given its trajectories in space-time as \tau(\sigma) = \frac{1}{a}senh(\sigma) and x(\sigma) = \frac{1}{a}cosh(\sigma). The conversation discusses how to write these equations in terms of proper time, using the definition of proper time as t = \int\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{c^{2}}(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}}dt and making the assumption that c=1. Through discussion and solving the integral, it is determined that the equations can be written in terms of proper time by replacing \sigma with a*\tau in the original
martyf

Homework Statement

I have the trajectories of a particle in the space-time:

[tex]\tau[/tex]([tex]\sigma[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex]senh([tex]\sigma[/tex])

x([tex]\sigma[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex]cosh([tex]\sigma[/tex])

How can I write this equations depending on proper time t of the particle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
How can I write this equations depending on proper time t of the particle?

Start out by defining the proper time. If you have a trajectory for a particle, what is the proper time along that trajectory, in general?

The proper time is :

t = [tex]\int\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{c^{2}}(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}}[/tex]dt

martyf said:
The proper time is :

t = [tex]\int\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{c^{2}}(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}}[/tex]dt

Good... now how can you get dx/dt?

By the way; you are being a bit unusual with your variable names. You have "t" being used above both as proper time (on the LHS) and as co-ordinate time (on the RHS, inside the integral).

It's more usual to use τ (Greek tau) as the proper time. In your original post, you also use tau as the co-ordinate time.

Maybe I can write :

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dx}{d\sigma}[/tex] * [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dt}[/tex]

Where :

t : co-ordinate time

[tex]\tau[/tex] : proper time

PS: you are right!
In my original post : [tex]\tau[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] t
In my second post : t [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\tau[/tex] (in the first member)

OK... there's another thing.

In your original equations, there's no mention of "c". Were your original equations given in units where c=1? This is commonly done to keep it simple.

To use your definition of proper time, where c is explicit, you'll have to make a small change to one of your original equations... or (easier) let c=1 in your definition of proper time and keep in mind that your units have this property.

My prof gave me those equations without "c". I think that I must continue in units where c=1. Maybe in my definition proper time I have to put c=1.

martyf said:
My prof gave me those equations without "c". I think that I must continue in units where c=1. Maybe in my definition proper time I have to put c=1.

You are now well on the way to a solution. Let me give you a hint, however. When you do the integration, try changing the integration variable to σ. That is, replace "dt" with [tex]\frac{dt}{d\sigma} d\sigma[/itex]

What this gives you, in fact, is the parametrized definition of proper time.

It will work a bit more easily, since everything is now in terms of σ in your equations.

Ok, so I write :

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{dt^{2}}{d\sigma^{2}}-\frac{dx^{2}}{d\sigma^{2}}}[/tex] d[tex]\sigma[/tex]

and I can solve the integral. So I get [tex]\tau[/tex] in function of [tex]\sigma[/tex]

But How can I write t and x in function of [tex]\tau[/tex] ?

martyf said:
Ok, so I write :

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{dt^{2}}{d\sigma^{2}}-\frac{dx^{2}}{d\sigma^{2}}}[/tex] d[tex]\sigma[/tex]

and I can solve the integral. So I get [tex]\tau[/tex] in function of [tex]\sigma[/tex] But How can I write t and x in function of [tex]\tau[/tex] ?

Try it. Solve the integral. It's going to be surprisingly easy.

PS. When you use LaTeX, put the whole equation inside the {tex} {/tex} tags. It will look much nicer!

I found :

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{1/a^{2}}[/tex] d[tex]\sigma[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\sigma}{a}[/tex]

So I have to replace [tex]\sigma[/tex] with a*[tex]\tau[/tex] in my original equations.
Is it right?

martyf said:
I found :

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{1/a^{2}}[/tex] d[tex]\sigma[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\sigma}{a}[/tex]

So I have to replace [tex]\sigma[/tex] with a*[tex]\tau[/tex] in my original equations.
Is it right?

Yes. In fact, your original equations are almost given in terms of proper time already! They are standard parametric equations for constant proper acceleration. That is, a particle following this world line experiences the same fixed acceleration all the time.

Yes, infact in the next part of the exercise I have to demonstrate the proper acceleration is costant and =a!
thank you very much!

martyf said:
Yes, infact in the next part of the exercise I have to demonstrate the proper acceleration is costant and =a!
thank you very much!

Oops. :tongue: I seem to have done too much of your exercise! But never mind; I am certain talking something like this through helps it to make better sense. Best of luck with it all.

Let me suggest one thing worth thinking about. How would you put "c" back into these equations, so that "a" remains the proper acceleration?

Also, you are working in a co-ordinate system with an origin (0,0). Suppose a bomb goes off at point (0,0) in space and time. When would the accelerated observer see the explosion?

Cheers -- sylas

1. What is the purpose of writing equations of particle trajectories in proper time?

The purpose of writing equations of particle trajectories in proper time is to describe the motion of a particle in a way that takes into account the effects of relativity. By using an equation that is invariant under Lorentz transformations, we can accurately describe the path of a particle through space and time.

2. How do you determine the proper time in an equation of particle trajectory?

The proper time is determined by using the spacetime interval, which is the difference between two events in spacetime. This interval is calculated using the metric tensor, which incorporates both space and time components. The proper time is then defined as the square root of the spacetime interval.

3. Can equations of particle trajectories in proper time be applied to all particles?

Yes, equations of particle trajectories in proper time can be applied to all particles, regardless of their mass or speed. This is because the equations take into account the effects of relativity, which apply to all particles in the universe.

4. What are the benefits of using equations of particle trajectories in proper time?

Using equations of particle trajectories in proper time allows for a more accurate and consistent description of motion, particularly at high speeds or in situations where the effects of relativity are significant. It also allows for easier comparison and analysis of particle trajectories across different reference frames.

5. Are there any limitations to writing equations of particle trajectories in proper time?

One limitation is that the equations can become quite complex and difficult to solve for more complicated systems. Additionally, they may not always accurately describe the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as near a black hole, where the effects of gravity are significant.