A 13-Year-Old's Physics Dilemma

• Thread starter fur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a 13-year-old who loves Physics joined a forum and is researching Maths and Physics in their own time. They were looking into special relativity and discovered that it only affects static objects. They are having trouble understanding why a laser in a photon clock moves in a zig-zag pattern, and are seeking help to understand this phenomenon. They are also curious about how the clock behaves in different frames of reference.
fur
Hi, I'm 13 and I really really love Physics, so I thought it would be a good idea to join this Forum. I research Maths and Physics in my own time, as this year we don't seem to go past the tangent function in maths... I was looking into special relativity before diving into general (bad idea?) and I discovered it only affected 'static' objects. Although this may seem basic, I'm having difficulty understanding why a laser in a photon clock would move in a zig-zag pattern, when it is moving as I would of thought, that when the photon was fired from the laser this was at a moment of time, and it would continue moving forwards from where it was shot, while the rest of the mechanism moves forwards. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
fur said:
I'm having difficulty understanding why a laser in a photon clock would move in a zig-zag pattern,
If it stays between the two mirrors in one frame (e.g. clocks rest frame) it will do so in every frame. Just because you move relative to the clock, you cannot observe something completely different, like the photon escaping from from the clock.

Hi there! It's great to hear that you have a passion for Physics at such a young age. Joining this forum is definitely a good idea as it will allow you to connect with others who share the same interest and potentially learn from their experiences.

It's also impressive that you are researching Maths and Physics in your own time. Keep up the good work! As for your question about special relativity and the movement of a laser in a photon clock, I can understand why you are having difficulty understanding it. Special relativity can be a complex topic, even for adults.

Firstly, it's important to note that special relativity deals with the behavior of objects in motion at very high speeds, close to the speed of light. This is why it may seem like it only affects "static" objects, as we typically don't encounter such high speeds in our daily lives.

Now, in a photon clock, the laser fires a photon at a mirror and then the photon reflects back to the laser. The zig-zag pattern you mentioned is due to the fact that the photon is moving at the speed of light, which is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This means that even though the clock is moving, the photon is still moving at the speed of light and bouncing back and forth between the mirrors at that same speed.

Think of it this way - if you were on a train moving at a constant speed and you threw a ball straight up in the air, the ball would still come straight back down into your hand, even though the train is moving. This is because the ball still has the same horizontal velocity as the train, so it appears to move in a zig-zag pattern from the perspective of someone outside the moving train.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Keep asking questions and exploring the world of Physics, and don't be afraid to dive into general relativity when you feel ready. Good luck!

1. What is the "13-Year-Old's Physics Dilemma"?

The "13-Year-Old's Physics Dilemma" is a thought experiment that asks whether a 13-year-old student would be able to understand and solve complex physics problems without any prior knowledge or training in the subject.

2. What is the purpose of the "13-Year-Old's Physics Dilemma"?

The purpose of this thought experiment is to challenge the idea that only highly educated and experienced individuals can comprehend and solve complex scientific problems. It also aims to promote the importance of critical thinking and curiosity in the pursuit of knowledge.

3. Is this dilemma based on real-life experiences?

No, the "13-Year-Old's Physics Dilemma" is a hypothetical scenario. It is not based on any real-life experiences or events.

4. What are some key skills that a 13-year-old would need to successfully solve the physics dilemma?

Some key skills that a 13-year-old would need to solve the physics dilemma include critical thinking, problem-solving, curiosity, and the ability to make connections between different concepts and ideas.

5. What are some potential outcomes of the "13-Year-Old's Physics Dilemma"?

The outcome of the dilemma can vary depending on the individual's level of intelligence, curiosity, and problem-solving skills. Some possible outcomes include the student successfully solving the problem, partially solving it, or failing to solve it. Regardless of the outcome, the dilemma can spark interest and curiosity in the subject of physics and encourage further exploration and learning.