1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider two events
    [tex]ct_{1}\; =\; 3\; m,\; x_{1}\; =\; 2\; m,\; ct_{2}\; =\; 5\; m,\; x_{2}\; =\; 6m[/tex]

1. What is the time difference between the two events?
    2. Find a reference frame for which the time difference is the negative of the time difference in the original frame.
    3. Calculate the invariant interval [tex]\left( \Delta s \right)^{2}=+c^{2}\left( t_{2}-t_{1} \right)^{2}-\left( x_{2}-x_{1} \right)^{2}-\left( y_{2}-y_{1} \right)^{2}-\left( z_{2}-z_{1} \right)^{2}[/tex] in both frames.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly don't have any idea what the first question is actually asking. How can I calculate a time difference when I am only given these distance figures with no velocities? It seems like an extremely poorly worded question.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The first question is just a unit conversion. What does c stand for?
  4. Mar 20, 2010 #3
    Well c = 3*108 ms-1. So t1 = 1*10-8 s and t2 = (5/3)*10-8 s.

I guess assuming these are both observed from a laboratory frame of reference then the time difference is just t2 - t1 = (2/3)*10-8 s?

It was a simple question, but the obscure way in which it was asked threw me off. Typical me, struggling with the simple stuff but I can much more easily understand the complicated things :smile: Thank you for your help. Hopefully I can do the other two problems myself!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook