Supernova Explosion: 720 Light-Years Away from Earth

In summary: The spacetime coordinates of the explosion in the Earth's frame are (720, 0). The spacetime coordinates of the explosion in the spaceship's frame are (0, 720).
kvan

Homework Statement

A space craft, traveling at 0.77c, is just passing the Earth when the light from a Supernova which is traveling in exactly the opposite direction to the ship, reaches it. According to an observer on the Earth the star which caused the explosion was 720 light years away (1 light year = distance traveled by light in one year). According to an observer on the spaceship how long ago did the star explode?

Homework Equations

I tried using:

[tex]
\Delta tsingle-quote=\frac{\Delta t}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As there is a distance of 720 light years between the supernova and the Earth, it takes light 720 years for light to reach Earth, so I used that value for t. I then used the value of 0.77c for velocity and left c as is. With these numbers I get the equation

[tex] \Delta tsingle-quote=\frac{720 years}{\sqrt{1-\frac{0.77c^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

I tried putting in the Latex equation for it but still not really that great at it sorry. But I'm trying to use the lorentz transformation for time dilation of

Delta t' = delta t/ sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)
But the answer is incorrect, any hints or ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed your LaTeX.
kvan said:

Homework Statement

A space craft, traveling at 0.77c, is just passing the Earth when the light from a Supernova which is traveling in exactly the opposite direction to the ship, reaches it. According to an observer on the Earth the star which caused the explosion was 720 light years away (1 light year = distance traveled by light in one year). According to an observer on the spaceship how long ago did the star explode?

Homework Equations

I tried using:

[tex] \Delta t'=\frac{\Delta t}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As there is a distance of 720 light years between the supernova and the Earth, it takes light 720 years for light to reach Earth, so I used that value for t. I then used the value of 0.77c for velocity and left c as is. With these numbers I get the equation

[tex] \Delta t'=\frac{720 years}{\sqrt{1-\frac{0.77c^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

I tried putting in the Latex equation for it but still not really that great at it sorry. But I'm trying to use the lorentz transformation for time dilation of

Delta t' = delta t/ sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)
But the answer is incorrect, any hints or ideas?

You need to use the Lorentz transformations because the events are separated by both time and space in both frames.

Find the spacetime coordinates of the explosion in the Earth's frame, and then transform them to coordinates in the spaceship's frame.

1. What is a supernova explosion?

A supernova explosion is a powerful and energetic event that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life cycle. It is a cataclysmic explosion that releases an enormous amount of energy and can outshine an entire galaxy for a short period of time.

2. How far away is this specific supernova explosion?

This supernova explosion occurred 720 light-years away from Earth. To put that in perspective, one light-year is equivalent to about 5.88 trillion miles. This means that the explosion happened about 4.23 quadrillion miles away from us.

3. What caused this specific supernova explosion?

This particular supernova explosion was caused by the death of a massive star, which is believed to have been at least 10 times more massive than our sun. As the star ran out of fuel, it collapsed under its own gravity, causing a massive explosion.

4. How long does a supernova explosion last?

A supernova explosion typically lasts for a few months, with the majority of its energy being released within the first few weeks. However, the remnant of the explosion can continue to emit radiation and expand for centuries.

5. Is this supernova explosion a threat to Earth?

No, this supernova explosion is not a threat to Earth. It occurred at a safe distance and did not have any significant impact on our planet. However, in rare cases, a supernova explosion occurring closer to Earth could potentially cause harm due to the release of high-energy radiation.