Special semiconductor needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a compound or semiconductor that can regulate the output of electricity from a super capacitor without wasting energy as heat. The idea of using a transistor is brought up, but it is deemed not useful due to its limited range of conductivity. The concept of using a non-conductive polymer impregnated with nano scale carbon tubes is proposed as a potential solution, with the concern of whether the electrons traveling through the tubes would create friction and heat. The analogy of a lightning bolt is used to describe how the carbon tubes would act as a path for the electrons to flow, without creating heat through collisions. It is suggested that the conductivity can vary depending on the concentration of carbon tubes in the polymer. The conversation ends with
taylaron
Gold Member
Hi, I have a super capacitor that is charged at 100,000+V at 0.1uF. Naturally it wants to give of its energy instantaneously in a spark; but I am trying to find a compound or semiconductor that can regulate the output of electricity from this capacitor without wasting the majority of the energy as heat.

I've envisioned a semiconductor that only let's x current through with a source at 100,000+V, but once the cap voltage drops low enough, there wouldn't be enough voltage to flow across the semiconductor. This "wastes" the rest of the energy in the cap which defeats the purpose.

I'm asking if there is an existing compound or semiconductor that can regulate its conductivity in a wide enough range to make the output voltage low enough at a near constant rate to be useful (~1-200V range).
A transistor comes to mind, but to my understanding, its range of conductivity is not wide enough to be 'useful'.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So, can one take a non conductive polymer and impregnate it with x percent lengths of nano scale ballistic conductors (metallic single wall carbon nano tubes) and achieve partial conductivity but without the loss of a lot of heat? To my understanding, since the electrons can't travel through the polymer the only route to travel through is the carbon nano tubes which are near perfect conductors (hence the ballistic conduction).

Or, would the electrons traveling through the SWCNT's "collide" with the molecules of the non conductive polymer and create friction thus heat? (although I still don't understand how electricity would be able to flow at all in those areas because it is an open circuit thus no current and no friction).
I see it like a bolt of lightning where there are many many splits from the main discharge path, but they stop because they don't have a path to ground. Similar to the lengths of CNT's empregnated in the polymer woud act as the ionized air particles in a lightning bolt. The current would only flow through the sections of CNT's that are all touching one another creating a path for the electrons to flow.

Where the electrons flow through there would be a direct path to the other side of the polymer, there would be incredibly little resistance creating a "single position valve for electrons" without the loss of energy through collisions (heat). the conductivity can vary with the concentration of CNT's as long as the polymer is a homogeneous mixture.
Am I correct?

Briefly explained here: http://www.entegris.com/Resources/Images/20257.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It sounds like you are looking for a semiconductor material with a variable conductivity that can regulate the output of your super capacitor. While there are many different types of semiconductors available, not all of them have the desired properties you are looking for.

One potential option could be a material called a "varactor diode." This type of semiconductor has a variable capacitance that can be controlled by changing the voltage applied to it. This could potentially allow you to regulate the output of your super capacitor without wasting energy as heat.

Another option could be a "field-effect transistor" (FET). These devices have a wide range of conductivity and can be used to regulate current flow in a circuit. However, they may not be able to handle the high voltage from your super capacitor, so additional circuitry may be needed.

It is also worth mentioning that the design and implementation of a circuit to regulate the output of your super capacitor will be crucial in achieving your desired results. It may be helpful to consult with a professional or conduct further research to find the best solution for your specific needs.

I hope this information helps. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a special semiconductor?

A special semiconductor is a type of material that has unique properties and characteristics that make it suitable for specific applications. It is usually made from a combination of elements, such as silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide.

2. What makes a semiconductor "special"?

A semiconductor can be classified as "special" if it has unique properties that differentiate it from traditional semiconductors. This can include its composition, structure, or ability to perform specific functions, such as emitting light or conducting electricity only under certain conditions.

3. What are some examples of special semiconductors?

Some examples of special semiconductors include LEDs (light-emitting diodes), photovoltaic cells, transistors, and sensors. These materials have specific properties that make them ideal for their respective applications, such as emitting light in LEDs or converting light into electricity in photovoltaic cells.

4. What are the uses of special semiconductors?

Special semiconductors have a wide range of uses in various industries, including electronics, telecommunications, energy, and healthcare. They are essential components in electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and televisions, and are also used in renewable energy technologies, medical devices, and sensors.

5. What are the challenges in developing special semiconductors?

Developing special semiconductors can be a complex and challenging process. It requires extensive research and development to understand the properties and behavior of these materials. Additionally, manufacturing special semiconductors can be expensive and may require specialized equipment and techniques.