1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Theory of Relativity

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    Thanks for taking a look. The following question is that is that from a grade 12 academic physics course.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Scientist Ludwig von Drake, while in his laboratory, measures the half-life of some radioactive material which is in a bomb, approaching with speed v. Donald Duck, who is riding on the bomb, also measures the half-life. His answer is a factor of 2 smaller than Ludwig's. What is the value of v, expressed as a fraction of c?

Answer: .87

2. Relevant equations

Special relativity equation: t=t0/square root (1-v2/c2) Note: 2 = squared
    Other: I know there is at least one more I must use but for the life of me don't know what it is.

3. The attempt at a solution

First we set V=Drakes. If this is so than Donald's equation must be equal to:

t=[t0/square root (1-v2/c2)]/2

Therefore to= 2t[square root (1-v2/c2)]

The problem is in equating the equations. They end up cancelling out because one is a direct derivative of the other. This leads me to believe I need at least 1 more equation.

It must also be noted that while von Drake may use the special equation of relativity Donald duck cannot (at least this is what I figure). I say this because Donald duck is viewing the half-life from the bomb at rest, meaning he would be more in the realm of inertial frame of reference. What equation i now use knowing that I have no idea.

Thanks in Advance guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

t=t0/square root (1-v2/c2) (this is the time dilation formula)

t is Drake's time

t0 is the proper time which is Donald's time.

we are given that t = 2t0.

so you have equations:

t=t0/square root (1-v2/c2)
    t = 2t0

so solve these 2 equations.

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    Donal Duck is measuring the proper time interval [tex]t_0[/tex], so the interval measured by Drake is [tex]t=t_o\lambda[/tex]. We're given that [tex]t=2t_o[/tex]. Dividing both equations we get that [tex]\lambda=(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{-1/2}=2[/tex]. Solving the equation yields the solution.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #4
    Thanks guys. My solution set is similar to both of yours.

I used 2T= To/sqreroot(1-v2/c2) and 2T = To/x where x=.5

This yields sqreroot(1-v2/c2) = .5

Through squaring both sides and moving the variables/numbers around you obtain

.75c2=v2

Simply square root that to get the answer which is .866c=v

Once again thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?