1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Theory of Relativity

1. May 21, 2008 #1

a.a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A carpenter on a space statopn has constructed a 30 degress ramp. A rocket moves past the space station with a relative speed f 0.730c in a direction parallel to the horizontal. What does a person above the ocker measure for the angle of the ramp?

2. Relevant equations

sine and cosine relations
    L(m) = L(s)sqrt. 1-v^2/c^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I havent been able to simplify far enough to get an angle. I'm not to sure about which length is L(m) or L(s) and I assumed that the angle that the rocker would measure would be from L(m) and H(m), but i arrive at a different answer. The answer is supposed to be 40.2 degrees.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

can you show the work you did in detail. Otherwise you wont get help.

4. May 21, 2008 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Edit: Sorry MG, I didn't see your post there.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  5. May 21, 2008 #4

a.a

does the heigh always stay the same regargless of weather it is starionaty or moveing?

Umm.. so i took another look and i decided to use trig ratios and solve for moveing length and let relativeistic length be root. 3

6. May 22, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is correct, since motion in perpendicular directions is independent, Lorentz contractions are only observed in the direction in which the observer is travelling. So in this case the observed height is equal to the proper height, but the base of the ramp is observed to be Lorentz contracted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?