Newtonian vs Special Relativity: Arguments Against Special Rel

• Thread starter bhsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newtonian
In summary: It's all about finding a way to discredit relativity-anything goes.There's no valid argument against special relativity. Incorrect arguments are either just refusals to accept some aspect of SR, or incorrect calculations that if they had been correct would have proved that SR is inconsistent.
bhsmith
I am trying to find any type of argument against special relativity. for example, why would someone think believe that Newtonian relativity is more valid than special relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no valid argument for that. Incorrect arguments are either just refusals to accept some aspect of SR, or incorrect calculations that if they had been correct would have proved that SR is inconsistent.

Are you interested in physics, history, or sociology? Historically, there was surely some doubt about SR ca. 1905-1915. The Nazis carried out a campaign of ridicule against "Jewish" science, including relativity. There are kooks today who insist that relativity is all wrong. If you're talking about physics as opposed to sociology or history, then there is no serious argument to be made today that Galilean relativity is more valid than SR.

Sadly, there are a lot of websites, papers and other stuff published that attack relativity. Most of these always refer to it as 'Einstein's' relativity, which makes me wonder if there isn't an element of racism motivating the ( crackpot) 'refutations'.

There's certainly no rational reason.

Racism might play a part, but I think it is a small part. The racist idiots tend to use the argument that relativity isn't Einstein's idea, and that none of his 1905 papers are.

(Irrational) reasons to argue against relativity:
  • Moral relativism is absolutely wrong. Therefore any form of relativism is wrong. Therefore relativity is wrong.
  • "If I can show that Einstein was wrong then I must be smarter than Einstein."
  • Making ridiculous claims makes some people think they are edgy.
  • Lawyer training? I swear that the re-vamped flat Earth society web page was created just for lawyers-in-training. I can just see the class assignment: "Defend the notion that the Earth is flat. Here is the website where you can do that: ..." Perhaps some of them have edged over to refuting relativity.

What is the difference between Newtonian and Special Relativity?

Newtonian mechanics is a set of physical laws that describe the motion of objects in the everyday world, while Special Relativity is a theory that explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

Why is Special Relativity considered more accurate than Newtonian mechanics?

Special Relativity takes into account the concept of relative motion and the speed of light as a constant, while Newtonian mechanics assumes that time and space are absolute.

What are some arguments against Special Relativity?

Some scientists argue that Special Relativity is based on theoretical concepts and has not been proven through physical experiments. Others claim that it is a limited theory that does not account for certain phenomena, such as gravitational effects.

How does Special Relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special Relativity has led to the development of other important theories, such as General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, which have greatly expanded our understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it.

Can Newtonian mechanics and Special Relativity be reconciled?

Although Special Relativity is considered more accurate, Newtonian mechanics is still used in certain situations, such as in low-speed or low-gravity environments. Some scientists are working on theories that could potentially merge the two concepts into a more comprehensive understanding of the physical world.