Specialty slide rule at the antique store

In summary, the speaker found a slide rule in a small store in Tennessee and picked it up because it was unique. They mention that slide rules are useful for comparing alternatives and have minimal error in fluid flow calculations. They also mention receiving a Masoneilan version of the slide rule while buying control valves. The speaker mentions a repository of various rules and data sheets and shares their personal use of a Dwyer velocity pressure slide rule. They prefer using the slide rule over a spreadsheet due to its convenience and portability in their line of work.
ChemAir
Gold Member
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG

It still has the guide cards for how to read it for different types of valves, etc... I found it in a small town store, outside Nashville, TN, USA, picked it up because I haven't seen one of these before. A little tedious to use, but, it is more capable than I would've thought. Thought someone other than me might think it was neat.

Likes sysprog, Klystron, BillTre and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Slide rules are useful for quickly and easily comparing different alternatives. And they are a negligible source of error in fluid flow calculations.
P4090004.JPG

This one was given to me back when I was buying a lot of Masoneilan control valves.

Likes sysprog, gmax137, Asymptotic and 2 others
jrmichler said:
Slide rules are useful for quickly and easily comparing different alternatives. And they are a negligible source of error in fluid flow calculations.

I haven't seen the Masoneilan version of that one. Most of the interesting rules I've seen or had, found new homes very quickly, usually being lent out by those I lent them to. Somewhere there's a large repository of steam tables, relief valve calculators, nomograms, product data sheets...

I use the Dwyer velocity pressure slide rule all the time. I guess I could have done a spreadsheet for that, but it never really seemed necessary. Also, carrying a computer into some of the hellholes I go into check airflows would be problematic.

Likes 2milehi and sysprog

1. What is a specialty slide rule?

A specialty slide rule is a type of mechanical calculating device that was commonly used before the invention of electronic calculators. It consists of a ruler with logarithmic scales and a sliding cursor that can be used to perform mathematical calculations.

2. How is a specialty slide rule different from a regular slide rule?

While a regular slide rule has basic mathematical functions like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, a specialty slide rule has additional scales and markings that are specific to a particular field or application, such as engineering, navigation, or astronomy.

3. Are specialty slide rules still useful today?

Although electronic calculators have largely replaced slide rules, some people still use specialty slide rules for their precision and reliability. They are also popular among collectors and hobbyists interested in vintage mathematical instruments.

4. What types of specialty slide rules can be found at an antique store?

At an antique store, you can find a variety of specialty slide rules, including engineering slide rules, navigation slide rules, astronomy slide rules, and more. These may vary in size, material, and complexity depending on their age and purpose.

5. How can I determine the value of a specialty slide rule at an antique store?

The value of a specialty slide rule at an antique store depends on factors such as its age, condition, rarity, and demand. It is recommended to do some research and consult with experts or collectors to get an accurate estimate of its value.