What is the effect of increased spacecraft speed on astronaut's pulse rate?

In summary, an increased speed of the spacecraft would have a small but noticeable effect on the astronaut's pulse as measured by the astronaut and by the Earth observer. The pulse is only an example of a clock in general. Any type of clock would be affected.
rojasharma
what effect would increasing the speed of the spacecraft have on the astronaut's pulse as measured by the astronaut and by the Earth observer? why. I think in both measurements, an increased pulse rate will be found?..

Physics news on Phys.org
The pulse is only an example of a clock in general. Any type of clock. You can look for a description in the textbook that probably phrases it as "the rate that time passes" or the "the speed of a clock", in one frame of reference, compared to another frame of reference. Consider which frame of reference undergoes acceleration.

the question is referring to heart beat..per min.

As mikelepore said, it's the same thing as the rate of a clock.

so...the astronaut will observe ...her pulse being slowed down?...:Sstill confused

Maybe you have a formula for an interval of time as it is measured by different observers, some formula that begins: t = ...

t=to/(sqrt1-v^2/c^2)

You have two people, an astronaut and an Earth observer. You also have two times, t and t0. Your textbook must explain how to assign which to which. In fact, most books use a traveler on a spaceship as the author's favorite example. Then you have the astronaut moving at speed v, which is less than c. That sqrt is in the denominator and not the numerator, and that must have some effect the answer.

rojasharma said:
so...the astronaut will observe ...her pulse being slowed down?...:Sstill confused

v is the relative velocity between the observer and the observed. The astronaut isn't moving relative to herself. In that case v=0.

I know. but in general ..what happens? when the speed of the spacecraft is increased. will the Earth based observer's measurement be more beats per min or less than b4? and what about astronaut, will she experience the frequency of her pulse to be more or less than b4?

If you say "I know.", what is it you know? Will the speed increase change the speed of the astronaut relative to herself? For the other question what does your formula t=to/(sqrt1-v^2/c^2) tell you? t0 is the rest frame interval (and it's fixed). t is the observed interval. Does t get bigger or smaller as v approaches c?

t gets bigger...

Good. Now what does that tell you about the original question? t0 is the interval between beats measured by the astronaut. t is the interval between beats measured from earth.

to is same while t increases...?

t0 is the interval between beats that the astronaut herself measures. That doesn't depend on v, right? Right? You said "I know". I remember.

righttt...i think i said i know to somthing else...

rojasharma said:
righttt...i think i said i know to somthing else...

I'd be curious what that something is. A moving observer never observes her own heart beating slow or her own clocks running slow. She can consider herself 'at rest'. At v=0. That's why it's called the "Specialy theory of relativity". Every observer can consider their own time reference as unchanging.

i was replying to someone else..when i said "i know" lol...i finally get it ...:)

thankyou

What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity, also known as the Theory of Special Relativity, is a fundamental theory in physics developed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It explains how objects move at high speeds and how time and space are affected by these movements.

What are the key principles of the Special Theory of Relativity?

The key principles of the Special Theory of Relativity are the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity of simultaneity, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc^2). These principles form the foundation of the theory and help explain the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

How does the Special Theory of Relativity differ from the General Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds in a straight line, while the General Theory of Relativity deals with objects that are accelerating or experiencing gravity. The Special Theory of Relativity is a special case of the General Theory of Relativity.

What are some practical applications of the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity has many practical applications, including the development of GPS technology, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. It also helps scientists understand the behavior of particles at high speeds and has led to advancements in space travel.

What experiments have been conducted to test the Special Theory of Relativity?

There have been many experiments conducted to test the Special Theory of Relativity, including the Michelson-Morley experiment, the Kennedy-Thorndike experiment, and the Hafele-Keating experiment. These experiments have all confirmed the principles of the theory and have helped further our understanding of the universe.