Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Species of animals in an area

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know a site that shows what species of any animal is in an area. Ideally one that would picks states, countries, or zip codes. I'm just interested in knowing about what animals are around me and identifying them. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

You can find many maps, do a google search on terrestrial ecosystem mapping, wildlife mapping, species mapping, etc...

Here's one to give you a start.

You select an area then use the "species finder" tool at the right of the map. You can drill down to a pretty specific area, including zip codes.

Here is an example searching on San Diego, CA.

The images link to each species is pretty cool.
  4. Jul 25, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much. That is definitely a good start and now I know some terminology.

Does this list not include insects? I can't seem to find any.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. Jul 25, 2008 #4

My pleasure. You brought up an interesting search that many might find interesting
  6. Jul 25, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that's a cool site! I found the list for my area and exported it to Excel :cool: .
  7. Jul 25, 2008 #6

Insects will cost you extra. :smile:

As I expected, most entymologists specialize so many of the websites with maps are listed by specific insects.

Here is one starting place, although it does not have exactly what you want, some of the information is rather interesting. I'll keep looking.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  8. Jul 25, 2008 #7
    That was fun, I need to spend a few days bird watching.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?