Specific absorption/ emission

In summary, when an atom is bombarded with em-waves, it will only break loose electrons if the frequency reaches a certain threshold. The number of ejected electrons is proportional to the intensity of the light and any additional energy from the photon will go towards the kinetic energy of the electron. Electrons can also absorb and emit specific frequencies of light when jumping between orbitals. The threshold frequency does not restrict the absorption of higher frequencies, but the emission and absorption frequencies do have a small range of uncertainty. The energy of a photon emitted or absorbed can only be equal to the difference between two energy levels in the atom. However, the atom as a whole can absorb fractional amounts of energy from a photon since it is not bound.
DeG
This is my understanding; please, correct me if I'm wrong.
If you bombard an atom with em-waves they will never break loose electrons until a certain threshold frequency. At this point the intensity of the light (or the amount of photons) striking the atom is proportional to the number of electrons ejected. The additional energy in the photon, beyond the energy required to break the bond, goes into kinetic energy of the electron. Electrons also absorb and emit specific frequencies of light when jumping between specific orbitals.
Does the threshold frequency only apply to breaking an electron loose, i.e. out of the atoms orbitals, and does this mean they can absorb any frequency above the threshold? Do the emission/ absorption frequencies only happen at discrete, exact values (versus a distribution of values)? Can they absorb higher energy photons, jump orbitals, then take the remaining energy as kinetic or even re-emit it as a lower frequency photon?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert, but I will take a shot at answering your questions.

does this mean they can absorb any frequency above the threshold?

Yes. Only bound particles are restricted to carrying specific amounts of energy.

Do the emission/ absorption frequencies only happen at discrete, exact values?

No. The uncertainty principle dictates that a process with a known amount of time has an uncertain amount of energy. Spectral lines are not infinitely thin. Instead, there is a very small range in which the energy can be absorbed/emitted.

Can they absorb higher energy photons, jump orbitals, then take the remaining energy as kinetic or even re-emit it as a lower frequency photon?

If the electron is still bound, no. The energy of a photon emitted or absorbed can only be equal to the difference between two energy levels in the atom.

It actually took me some research to find these answers, so I hope you like them.

Nice, thank you very much. That all makes a lot of sense.

DeG said:
Nice, thank you very much. That all makes a lot of sense.

You're welcome. I guess I should also add that, while the electron can't absorb a fractional amount of energy from a photon, the atom as a whole can, since the atom itself is not bound.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515982

What is specific absorption/emission?

Specific absorption/emission refers to the ability of a material to absorb or emit electromagnetic radiation at a specific wavelength.

How is specific absorption/emission measured?

Specific absorption/emission is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed or emitted by a material at a specific wavelength.

What factors affect specific absorption/emission?

The specific absorption/emission of a material can be affected by its chemical composition, physical structure, temperature, and the wavelength of the incident light.

Why is specific absorption/emission important in scientific research?

Specific absorption/emission is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of materials, such as their chemical composition and structural changes.

How is specific absorption/emission used in practical applications?

Specific absorption/emission is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in environmental monitoring, medical diagnostics, and industrial processes. It can also be used to identify and quantify substances in a sample, such as pollutants or biomarkers.