1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Career Guidance

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    I'am in High School right now, and I'am still not really sure what job I would want to have. However, I do have several areas of interest. My favorite subject by far is math, which is closely followed by physics. I somewhat like chemistry, but I don't really like biology at all. I know about engineering, but I hear that it doesn't pay too great and the job security isn't that good either. I don't know, maybe I haven't been listening to the best sources, but thats what I hear. My friends are telling me to be a doctor because my grades in biology are high, but I don't like biology. Does anyone have any opinions on jobs that are relevant to my interest, yet pay quite good?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2
    Since you have yet to start college you really don't need to make a firm decision yet. For your first semester, take Math, Physics, CS, Econ, English. See what you like. All of those classes will likely count toward your degree no matter what you decide to major in. Do well in your English class as it will likely help you in all the core classes you have to take. If you like Business, take a class in that. Also, computer skills are in high demand (knowing how to program (Java for example), or how to use data analysis software (SAS) seems to be a good way to find a job).

If you want to look at specific careers, check out Actuary, Statistician, Software Engineer. Actuary is consistently rated as one of the best careers, and I think Statistician is up there too. Check out: US News Best Careers and Best and Worst Jobs - Wall Street Journal
  4. Nov 28, 2007 #3
    DO NOT become a doctor because your biology grades are high, you will be unhappy yourself during your undergrad years, and more so in med school.
    Become a doctor because you want to help people.

There are tons of places you can go with math/sci degrees, and likewise tons of posts on this forum with similar questions as yours.
    Take head in mattmns post and take a broad selection of courses your first year. Take some courses in calculus, physics, chemistry, literature, computer science, art, or history. You may find that yes you are good at science and math but the calling is just not there. You shouldn't pursue a career for the money, rather because it is what you want to do.
  5. Nov 28, 2007 #4

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?