1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific charge of the electron

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electrons in crossed electric + magnetic fields: Simulation. I need to find e/m with known E, U and B.

Easy way to find e/m is to set U, E and B such that I dont get any deflection of the electron beam. In that situation magnetic and electric force are equal -> E=B*v (v=speed of the electrons). I put that in eU=0.5*m*v^2 and I get e/m.

Now, what if I did the experiment this way: PIC . There is a small deflection but lets approximate one segment with a straight line. How do I find e/m now?
    So, known data are U, E, B and slope of the deflection.

2. Relevant equations

0.5mv^2=eU (v = initial speed)

F1= eE electric force

F2 = ev x B magnetic force

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to calculate deflection only magnetic force would make and then deflection only electric force would make and then if I subtract those deflections it should be equal to the deflection of my straight line. Its not an easy way and Im not sure about my assumption?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?