Discover the Secrets of Specific Charge: Understanding the Example Sum

In summary, specific charge is a physical quantity that describes the amount of electric charge per unit of mass of a particle. It is calculated by dividing the electric charge of a particle by its mass and is typically measured in Coulombs per kilogram. One example of specific charge is the specific charge of an electron, which is approximately 1.76 x 10^11 C/kg. It tells us about the intrinsic properties of a particle and is important in many areas of physics for characterizing and identifying particles and predicting their behavior. Understanding specific charge is also essential for studying the laws of nature.
bacardiancoke
Hi all,

I'm reading through a section of my course about specific charge and I cannot figure out how exactly the example sum has got the answer it displays.

It uses carbon 12 as the example so displays the sum as:

= 9.61305876 x 10-19
------------------------------------------
20.08529244 x 10-27

= 0.4786118 x 10-19+27

= 0.4786118 x 108

= 4.4786118 x 107 Coulombs / kg

How exactly does it become (-19+27) when my working out of the very same sum has it at -46?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{10^n} = 10^{-n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{10^{-n}} = 10^n[/tex]

Thanks jtbell. :smile:

Was funny in a way, as soon as I hit "post" the penny dropped :redface:

1. What is specific charge?

Specific charge, also known as specific charge-to-mass ratio, is a physical quantity that describes the amount of electric charge per unit of mass of a particle. It is denoted by the symbol "e/m" and is typically measured in units of Coulombs per kilogram (C/kg).

2. How is specific charge calculated?

Specific charge can be calculated by dividing the electric charge of a particle (e) by its mass (m). This can be done experimentally by measuring the radius of the circular path of a charged particle moving in a magnetic field and using the formula e/m = B^2r^2/2V, where B is the magnetic field strength and V is the accelerating voltage.

3. What is an example of specific charge?

One example of specific charge is the specific charge of an electron, which has a value of approximately 1.76 x 10^11 C/kg. This means that for every kilogram of mass, an electron has a charge of 1.76 x 10^11 Coulombs.

4. What does specific charge tell us about a particle?

Specific charge tells us about the intrinsic properties of a particle, specifically its charge and mass. It can also give us information about the type of particle, as different particles have different specific charges. For example, protons have a specific charge that is approximately 1836 times larger than that of electrons.

5. Why is understanding specific charge important?

Understanding specific charge is important in many areas of physics, such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and electromagnetism. It allows us to characterize and identify different particles, as well as make predictions about their behavior in various physical systems. Additionally, specific charge is a fundamental quantity that is used in many mathematical equations and laws, making it essential for understanding and studying the laws of nature.