Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence

In summary, the question is whether the expression ##(A_\mu A_\nu^{,\nu} - A_\mu^{,\nu} A_\nu)^\mu = A_\mu^{,\mu}A_\nu^{,\nu} + A_\mu A_\nu^{,\nu,\mu} - A_\mu^{,\nu,\mu} A_\nu - A_\mu^{,\nu}A_\nu^{,\mu} = A_\mu^{,\mu}A_\nu^{,\nu} - A_\mu^{,\nu}A_\nu^{,\mu}## holds when the comma represents the covariant derivative. The answer is yes, as the product rule still
gerald V
If the comma means ordinary derivative, then ##(A_\mu A_\nu^{,\nu} - A_\mu^{,\nu} A_\nu)^\mu = A_\mu^{,\mu}A_\nu^{,\nu} + A_\mu A_\nu^{,\nu,\mu} - A_\mu^{,\nu,\mu} A_\nu - A_\mu^{,\nu}A_\nu^{,\mu} = A_\mu^{,\mu}A_\nu^{,\nu} - A_\mu^{,\nu}A_\nu^{,\mu} ##, where ##A## is some vector field. Does the same hold if the comma means covariant derivative (then usually denoted as semicolon)?
Please forgive me for this simple question. Due to my considerations the answer is yes, but I don't trust in this completely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, because the product rule holds, and you've nowhere interchanged the order of differentiation, which holds for partial but not for covariant derivatives (if the space is not flat).

Thank you very much. But I did change the order of differentiation in the third term to make it cancel against the second. First, I just renamed the indices ##A_\mu^{,\nu,\mu}A_\nu \equiv A_\nu^{,\mu,\nu}A_\mu##, but then I replaced ##A_\nu^{,\mu,\nu} \rightarrow A_\nu^{,\nu,\mu}##. So I now assume the relation does not hold if the derivatives are covariant.

1. What is "Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence"?

"Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the behavior of a vector field under coordinate transformations. It is a measure of how much the vector field changes with respect to changes in the coordinate system.

2. Why is "Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" important?

"Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" is important because it helps to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories in physics, such as general relativity.

3. How is "Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" calculated?

"Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" is calculated using a mathematical formula known as the divergence theorem. This involves taking the dot product of the vector field with the gradient of a scalar function, and then integrating over a specific region in space.

4. What is the difference between "Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" and "Proof of Covariant Divergence"?

The main difference between "Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" and "Proof of Covariant Divergence" is that the former is a more specific version of the latter. "Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" considers a particular coordinate system, while "Proof of Covariant Divergence" is a more general concept that applies to any coordinate system.

5. In what fields of science is "Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" used?

"Proof of Specific Covariant Divergence" is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly important in areas such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity.