Specific enthelpies of the streams

• Thread starter Janiceleong26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, the specific enthalpy for stream F can be found from literature values, while the specific enthalpies of streams S, V1, C1, C2, V2, F1, and F2 are unknown due to unknown temperatures and/or compositions. Interpolation and charts can be used to estimate the specific enthalpies of stream S and F, while assumptions may need to be made for streams V1, V2, F1, and F2. The specific enthalpies of streams C1 and C2 cannot be determined without knowing their temperatures and pressures. The boiling point of water at a 10w/w% NaOH solution can be found from Chart 2. The temperature of
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

Ass 2 2162.PNG
Capture.PNG

part b.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have identified that only the specific enthalpy for stream F can be found from literature values, whereas the specific enthalpy of other streams are unknowns.

The specific enthalpy of streams S, V1, C1, C2 and V2 are unknowns because the temperature is unknown. On the other hand, specific enthalpy of streams F1 and F2 are unknown because the composition of NaOH is unknown.

May I know if I am correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 211988 View attachment 211990
View attachment 211989

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have identified that only the specific enthalpy for stream F can be found from literature values, whereas the specific enthalpy of other streams are unknowns.

The specific enthalpy of streams S, V1, C1, C2 and V2 are unknowns because the temperature is unknown. On the other hand, specific enthalpy of streams F1 and F2 are unknown because the composition of NaOH is unknown.

May I know if I am correct?
Please tell us your rationale for arriving at these conclusions. Also, let's see the charts.

Chestermiller said:
Please tell us your rationale for arriving at these conclusions. Also, let's see the charts.

I just realized that I can get the specific enthalpy of stream S at 3.5 bar, by interpolating from 3.4 bar to 3.6 bar from from this table:
Table1: Properties of saturated steam: Pressure table
IMG_6924.JPG
For stream F, I can obtain the specific enthalpy from these charts:
IMG_6925.jpg

Chart1: Enthalpy of NaOH solution given mixture boiling temperature and mass fraction.

IMG_6926.jpg

Chart2: Boiling temperature of an aqueous solution of NaOH given the mass fraction and temperature of the boiling water.

For streams V1 and V2, I assumed that the temperature of the steam is 100 degC, or assume that the pressure is the same as the evaporator (50kPa) so I can find it from the literature values, though I'm not sure if my assumption is valid.

For streams F1 and F2, the specific enthalpies can't be found because we don't know how much of steam is evaporated and so we don't know the w/w% of NaOH solution in these streams.

However, can the specific enthalpies of streams C1, C2 be found? The temperature and pressure of these streams are not known so I'm guessing we can't unless we assume the pressure of C1 is 50kPa, but I'm not sure if this assumption is valid.

Last edited:
To know the specific enthalpies of streams C1 and C2, you need to know their temperatures and pressures. But shouldn't these be the same as the temperatures and pressures of V1 and V2?

Chestermiller said:
To know the specific enthalpies of streams C1 and C2, you need to know their temperatures and pressures. But shouldn't these be the same as the temperatures and pressures of V1 and V2?
I thought the steam provides heat to the evaporator to heat the NaOH solution? So the temperature of the condensate is not the same as V1?

Janiceleong26 said:
I thought the steam provides heat to the evaporator to heat the NaOH solution? So the temperature of the condensate is not the same as V1?
You are aware that, when steam condenses, if its pressure stays constant, its temperature is constant, correct?

Chestermiller said:
You are aware that, when steam condenses, if its pressure stays constant, its temperature is constant, correct?
Oh I see, okay thanks so much!

Chestermiller said:

Sry one more thing.. how do we know the boiling point of water at 10w/w% NaOH solution?

Janiceleong26 said:
Sry one more thing.. how do we know the boiling point of water at 10w/w% NaOH solution?
Chart 2

Hi @Chestermiller, I am having some doubts on the temperature of the first evaporator.

Assuming the temperature of the first evaporator is the same as the boiling temperature of the NaOH solution..
Is the temperature of the first evaporator equals to the boiling temperature of stream F or F1?
Also, is 60 deg C the boiling temperature of F2?

Last edited:
Janiceleong26 said:
Hi @Chestermiller, I am having some doubts on the temperature of the first evaporator.

Assuming the temperature of the first evaporator is the same as the boiling temperature of the NaOH solution..
Is the temperature of the first evaporator equals to the boiling temperature of stream F or F1?
F1
Also, is 60 deg C the boiling temperature of F2?
yes

Likes Janiceleong26
Chestermiller said:
F1

yes
Thanks

What is specific enthalpy of a stream?

Specific enthalpy of a stream is a measure of the energy content per unit mass of a fluid flowing through a system. It takes into account the internal energy, pressure, and volume of the fluid.

How is specific enthalpy calculated?

Specific enthalpy is calculated by adding the internal energy of the fluid to the product of its pressure and specific volume.

Why is specific enthalpy important in fluid dynamics?

Specific enthalpy is important in fluid dynamics because it helps determine the amount of energy required to move a fluid through a system, and it is also used to calculate the temperature change of the fluid.

What factors can affect the specific enthalpy of a stream?

The specific enthalpy of a stream can be affected by changes in pressure, temperature, and the composition of the fluid. It can also be influenced by the addition or removal of heat through processes such as heating or cooling.

How is specific enthalpy used in engineering applications?

In engineering, specific enthalpy is used to design and analyze systems that involve the movement of fluids, such as pumps, turbines, and heat exchangers. It is also used to determine the efficiency of these systems and to optimize their performance.