Calculating Specific Enthalpy of Air at Different Temperatures and Pressures

In summary, the specific enthalpy of air is a measure of the total energy per unit mass, including internal energy and potential and kinetic energy. It can be calculated using the equation h = u + pv and is important in thermodynamics for calculating energy requirements in processes involving air. Temperature, pressure, and humidity can affect its value, and it is used in practical applications such as HVAC and power systems, as well as in meteorology to understand weather patterns.
JSBeckton
I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but how do you find the specific enthalopy of air at a given temp and pressure? I Have been using my thermo tables for everything but I do not have tables for air. The only tables for air that I see list the properties at .1 Mpa and I need it at 200, and 90kPa. Do I use Cp?

Physics news on Phys.org
Enthalpy for Ideal gases are given in your tables as functions of temperature in Kelvin.

You can use cp when the temperature range is small as an approximation.

ok, thanks

1. What is specific enthalpy of air?

The specific enthalpy of air is a measure of the total energy per unit mass of air, including both its internal energy and its potential and kinetic energy.

2. How is specific enthalpy of air calculated?

The specific enthalpy of air can be calculated using the equation h = u + pv, where h is specific enthalpy, u is specific internal energy, p is pressure, and v is specific volume.

3. Why is specific enthalpy of air important?

Specific enthalpy of air is important because it is a key property in thermodynamics and is used to calculate the energy requirements for processes involving air, such as heating, cooling, and air conditioning.

4. What factors can affect the specific enthalpy of air?

The specific enthalpy of air can be affected by temperature, pressure, and humidity. Changes in these factors can cause changes in the internal energy and potential and kinetic energy of air, thus affecting its specific enthalpy.

5. How is specific enthalpy of air used in practical applications?

Specific enthalpy of air is used in practical applications such as HVAC systems, power plants, and refrigeration systems. It is also used in meteorology to calculate atmospheric energy and to understand weather patterns.