1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific heat capacity

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1
    Hey ya. I need some help with specific heat capacity. :cry: Does anyone know where i can find a table of specific heat capacity values? :redface: Also what are the units of specific heat capacity? do you have to measure the temperature in kelvin or degrees? Plz help, o:) Thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2
  4. Apr 17, 2006 #3
    excellent, thanx alot. will have a read through them.

5. Apr 17, 2006 #4
    A table of specific heat values can usually be found in the appendix of a chemistry textbook.

Or, click here and here

The SI units of specific heat are
    [tex]\frac{\text{J}}{\text{kg} \cdot \text{K}}[/tex]
    (In SI we use Kelvin :wink:)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  6. Apr 17, 2006 #5
    I had a look at the sites, and one the table it said J/kg/oC
    or J/kg/K. Does that meant then that as long as you keep to the same unit, you should get the same answer?

7. Apr 17, 2006 #6
    I have just worked out my specific heat capacities using both kelvin and oC and i got different answers. I got 954 J/kg/oC and 3968 J/Kg/K. When looking at the tables aluminium (which i think the metal is) has a specific heat capacity of around 900 J/Kg/K, but my kelvin answer is not near that!! any suggestions on what i may be doing wrong?

8. Apr 17, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How have you worked them out? Perhaps you could show an example calculation? If you are looking at change in temperature remember that the size of 1 oC is the same as 1K.

Regards,
    ~Hoot

9. Apr 17, 2006 #8
    Thanx hootenanny. Of course, the change in temperature is the same in both oC and kelvin. Excellent!! I was working out the change in temperature and then adding on 273 for kelvin!! woops!!! YAY. Thank you sooooo much. I'm not confused any moure!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?