1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific heat capacity

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    Metals have the low specific heat capacity.why is the low specific heat capacity useful?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2
    Because they are easier to heat up! Think of why your pots, pans, and stove burner coils are metal.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    So is that the only use for less heat capacity?

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4
    I'm not sure, though I know there are some specific heat considerations for building materials, etc. I suppose an electrical fuse needs to have low specific heat in order to melt, but it already needs to be a metal to conduct the electricity anyway. I'm really not sure about any other specific uses, most of the situations I can think of already require the use of metal for another reason.

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5
    The heat capacity of metals per mole is not particularly low (this is due to the Dulong-Petit law), many of them just have a high molar weight, so the heat capacity per mass is lower. It is useful because you need to heat iron for example to 1540 °C to melt it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook