Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific heat capacity

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    Metals have the low specific heat capacity.why is the low specific heat capacity useful?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2
    Because they are easier to heat up! Think of why your pots, pans, and stove burner coils are metal.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    So is that the only use for less heat capacity?

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4
    I'm not sure, though I know there are some specific heat considerations for building materials, etc. I suppose an electrical fuse needs to have low specific heat in order to melt, but it already needs to be a metal to conduct the electricity anyway. I'm really not sure about any other specific uses, most of the situations I can think of already require the use of metal for another reason.

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5
    The heat capacity of metals per mole is not particularly low (this is due to the Dulong-Petit law), many of them just have a high molar weight, so the heat capacity per mass is lower. It is useful because you need to heat iron for example to 1540 °C to melt it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook