Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific heat capacity

1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    How do I know which one of these two spheres have more specific heat capacity?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi fabrc. Can you explain what the photo is showing us?

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3
    First, I am afraid you are gluing the words of two different concepts...probably because they are directly related, but you need to keep in mind that they are two separate concepts.

To be sure, there is no "Specific Heat Capacity"; instead, you have two concepts:

"Specific Heat", this is a property of matter.

"Heat Capacity", this is an attribute on an object that depends on its "specific heat" and on its mass.

Once you understand these two concepts and how they relate to each other (go back to read the textbook or google...I got a few links right away), you should be able to explain what experiment you can do to answer the correct question.

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4
    I googled it, as you suggested. This is the first link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity

Taken from the second paragraph on that page: '. . . and the specific heat capacity, often simply called specific heat, is the heat capacity per unit mass of a material.'

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you take the question at face value.... The specific heat capacity depends only on the material the sphere is made of and that's stated on the image.

However I suspect there is more to the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook