Specific Heat Capacity of water

In summary, the presence of sediments and iron oxides in water can lower the specific heat capacity of the mixture compared to pure water, as the heat capacity of these materials is lower than that of water. However, on a molecular level, the particulates in suspension may also affect the transfer of heat through conduction, potentially making the dirty water less efficient as a heat transfer medium. This may not have a significant impact on the overall energy required to raise the temperature, as the specific heat capacity of the mixture would still be lower due to the presence of the particulates.
Ajaxx757
The specific heat capacity of water is accepted to be roughly 4.18 J/gK. How would the specific heat value of a given water sample be effected when sediments and other forms of particulation, such as iron oxide from rust, are present? Would the mixture have a higher specific heat capacity value compared to pure water and thus require more energy to satisfy the same delta T?

Thoughts and any insight will be much appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Well, what would you think would happen?

The heat capacity of iron oxide is much lower than water. So, the heat capacity of the mixtures of water and iron oxide would be less than water alone.

chet

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
SteamKing said:
Well, what would you think would happen?

I would expect the dirty water to be a less efficient heat transfer medium and therefore have a higher specific heat. But, let's say I had 10g of pure water as sample A and 10g of dirty water (a mixture of sediments and iron oxides) as sample B, of that 10g the particulates account for .5g of the total weight. Sample A would have a SH of roughly 4.18 while sample B would have a SH value of 4.18 for 9.5g of the mixture and a value "c" for the .5g of particulates with c being less than the value of water. When I look at the situation this way I believe the dirty water would have a lower SH. However, I also wonder on a molecular level if the particulates which are in suspension, play a role in how heat is transferred through conduction. Meaning do they, the particulates, interfere with how well heat is transferred to the surrounding water.

Chestermiller said:
The heat capacity of iron oxide is much lower than water. So, the heat capacity of the mixtures of water and iron oxide would be less than water alone.

chet
Chet, see my second post above. Do you believe my thought process is correct? I guess I'm asking, is you're statement based of a similar thought process of mine? And what would you have to say about my last portion with the particulates being in suspension and perhaps effecting how well heat is transferred to the mixture through conduction?

The specific heat capacity of water will probably have been measured using a rig that stirs the water to eliminate any error due to conduction. In any case good thermal conductivity just helps ensure uniform temperature. It doesn't/wouldn't change the energy required to raise the temperature.

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. It is a measure of how much heat energy a substance can absorb or release without changing its temperature.

2. Why is water's specific heat capacity important?

Water has a high specific heat capacity, which means it can absorb a large amount of heat energy before its temperature changes significantly. This makes it an important regulator of temperature in both natural and man-made systems, such as the Earth's climate and in industrial processes.

3. How does the specific heat capacity of water compare to other substances?

Water has a higher specific heat capacity than most other substances, including solids and gases. This is due to the strong intermolecular forces between water molecules, which require more energy to break and change the temperature of the substance.

4. Does the specific heat capacity of water change with temperature?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of water changes slightly with temperature. Generally, it decreases as the temperature increases, but this change is very small and can be neglected for most practical purposes.

5. How is the specific heat capacity of water measured?

The specific heat capacity of water can be measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the amount of heat energy absorbed or released by a substance. The specific heat capacity is calculated by dividing the heat energy by the mass of the water and the change in temperature.