What is the best source for finding the specific heat of certain substances?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in finding the specific heat of certain substances such as Sucrose, Citric Acid, and Trinitrotoluene. The person is seeking one source for this information but has been unable to find it using a search engine. They ask if anyone knows of a source or has the data. Another person suggests using a handbook of chemistry & physics, specifically the CRC handbook, as it may have the information needed.
Atropine

Homework Statement

I am unable to find the specific heat of certain substances. Examples of such substances are: Sucrose, Citric Acid, and Trinitrotoluene. I need one source for the information in this data, and I am unable to obtain it using a search engine. Is there anyone who actually indeed might have this data or know of a site to be able to find the specific heat for these substances?

Homework Equations

(Equations are simple to figure out once I have the specific heat of the three substances)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a search engine, as well as trying to use my chemistry book. My teacher is of no help since she wanted us to do this on our own.

*Any help is appreciated*

Physics news on Phys.org
Why aren't you allowed to look up constant values?

Atropine asks:
I am unable to find the specific heat of certain substances. Examples of such substances are: Sucrose, Citric Acid, and Trinitrotoluene. I need one source for the information in this data, and I am unable to obtain it using a search engine. Is there anyone who actually indeed might have this data or know of a site to be able to find the specific heat for these substances?
The source which you want is a handbook of chemistry & physics. college and public libraries have them.

symbolipoint said:
Atropine asks:

The source which you want is a handbook of chemistry & physics. college and public libraries have them.

The CRC handbook might be your best bet because I don't think the Merck Index has it.

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is a physical property that is unique to each substance.

2. How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat exchange between a substance and its surroundings. The substance is heated or cooled and the change in temperature is recorded, along with the amount of heat energy applied.

3. Why is specific heat important in chemistry?

Specific heat is important in chemistry because it can help identify and differentiate between different substances. It also plays a role in various chemical reactions and processes, such as determining the amount of energy needed for a reaction to occur.

4. How does specific heat affect the temperature of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance determines how much heat energy is needed to increase its temperature. Substances with a higher specific heat require more energy to increase their temperature, while substances with a lower specific heat will experience a larger temperature change with the same amount of heat energy.

5. Can specific heat be changed?

Specific heat is an intrinsic property of a substance and cannot be changed. However, the amount of heat energy needed to change the temperature of a substance can be altered by changing its physical state, such as from a solid to a liquid or a gas, or by adding impurities to the substance.