Understanding the Difference between Heat Capacity and Specific Heat

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of hot water, specific heat, and heat capacity given different sets of information. It is important to understand the difference between heat capacity and specific heat, and to have the necessary information to calculate each. The formula for calculating heat capacity is C = Q / \delta T, and for specific heat, it is C = m * s, where m is the mass and s is the specific heat.
davidlettermn
Hello I do not remember the layout for posting and it is not posted because I'm on my mobile phone but I need help finding volume of hot water given the volume and temp of cold water and the temp of hot water.
I need help finding specific heat given mass and temp
and I need help finding heat capacity given the specific heat

Physics news on Phys.org
davidlettermn said:
I need help finding volume of hot water given the volume and temp of cold water and the temp of hot water.

I need help finding specific heat given mass and temp

and I need help finding heat capacity given the specific heat

In each case you need more information to find the answer. For example - you can't calculate heat capacity of water knowing its specific heat. No such thing as "heat capacity of water" - but if you know AMOUNT of water, then you can calculate heat capacity of this specific amount of water. So, first - look at what you are really given.

What formula would I use to calculate the heat capacity of,let's say 10 grams of iron?

heat capacity doesn't require the knowledge of amount of that substance.

Heat capacity of a particular sample of a substance is defined as the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of that sample by 1 degree Celsius.

Calculate it by using C (heat capacity) = Q (heat given)/ [tex]\delta[/tex] T (temperature change)

Last edited:
snshusat161 said:
heat capacity doesn't require the knowledge of amount of that substance.

It depends on the information you are given. OP asked about calculation of heat capacity when specific capacity is known.

Heat capacity of a particular sample of a substance is defined as the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of that sample by 1 degree Celsius.

Calculate it by using C (heat capacity) = Q (heat given)/ [tex]\delta[/tex] T (temperature change)

That's correct, but I don't see how it fits the original problem.

--

Specific heat is given then it is very simple. Multiply specific heat by the mass of substance then you'll get the heat capacity for that sample of substance.

There is a very little but very important difference between heat capacity and specific heat. To understand it let take one example.

let's take a rod. I don't know which metal it is made of and what it's mass. But I start heating it and after sometime I found that the temperature is increased by 1 degree Celsius. I calucated that I've given that rod heat (heat is only a mode of energy transfer, actually we give energy) equal to Q. Now I take another rod, do I need exactly Q amount of heat to increase its temperature by 1 degree celsius? I can't be sure bout it and most probably I'll answer no!. That's what heat capacity is.

Now again I take the same first rod but this time I noted that that rod is made up of Iron and its mass is 1 kg. And now I looked at second rod and found that the rod is also made up of iron and its mass is 2 kg. So As I know that I'd given Q amount of energy for the rod of Iron of 1 kg so I need a double energy for the rod of double mass than first to raise it's temperature by same amount. That is specific heat.

Now back to question. Since you know how much energy you need to give for that substance of unit mass to increase its temperature by a unit degree so you can calculate the heat capacity by multiplying it with the mass.

Definition makes it very clear but I've given the explanation because previous poster said that what's the need of that definition.

What is specific heat/heat capacity?

Specific heat or heat capacity is a physical property of a substance that describes its ability to absorb or release heat energy without undergoing a change in temperature.

How is specific heat/heat capacity measured?

Specific heat is measured in units of energy per unit mass per degree Celsius (J/(kg·°C)) or in energy per unit mass per degree Kelvin (J/(kg·K)). It can be determined experimentally by measuring the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount.

What factors affect the specific heat/heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is affected by its molecular structure, mass, and temperature. Substances with stronger intermolecular bonds tend to have higher specific heats, while substances with weaker bonds have lower specific heats. Additionally, substances with higher mass have higher specific heats, and the specific heat of a substance generally increases as its temperature increases.

Why is specific heat/heat capacity an important concept in science?

Specific heat is an important concept in science because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. It also plays a crucial role in various engineering applications, such as determining the amount of energy needed to heat or cool a substance, designing heating and cooling systems, and understanding the behavior of materials in extreme temperatures.

How does specific heat/heat capacity differ from thermal conductivity?

Specific heat and thermal conductivity are related but distinct concepts. Specific heat measures the amount of heat energy needed to change the temperature of a substance, while thermal conductivity measures how well a substance can transfer heat energy. In other words, specific heat describes a substance's ability to store heat, while thermal conductivity describes its ability to transfer heat.